Navigating on a 'bent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PalmerSperry

What do people recommend when it comes to recumbents and navigating (particularly audax routesheets)? This is one of those things I've never quite worked out ...

Obviously solutions would have to vary depending upon the recumbent in question and particularly wrt the handlebar type - I'd imagine hamster bars are a particular problem?

(My girlfriend suggested the transparent thigh pockets that fighter pilot flightsuits have.)

I use a "Cargo Vest" and they fit in one of the pockets!

Arch

Married to Night Train
PalmerSperry said:
(My girlfriend suggested the transparent thigh pockets that fighter pilot flightsuits have.)

Is it inappropriate to say that those trousers make me go weak at the knees (when worn by pilots, not me...)

The audax I did, I shoved my OS photocopy and routesheet (one facing each way) in a clear mapcase and stuck it behind me on the seat, retrieving it when necessary.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Don't know about audaxes, but this is my usual method of navigation:

triceq-04.jpg

(Spacebar mounted on the mirror stalk)

squeaker

Über Member
Route sheet stuffed into sealed plastic bag, strategically folded, then into bum bag (on stomach) or thigh pocket on 3/4 short's (do those work too, Arch?).

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I've tried a few times to ride from a routesheet on the bent, and found it pretty hard going. I'm one of those that panics a little about turns "L:TL... Left, at traffic lights... Probably first left at the lights... or bear left at the crossroads, perhaps its a T-Junction... ooh, here's a right turn at a mini roundabout.. Maybe they meant this? I'd best stop and check"

The workable solutions (for me) seemed to be:
- Garmin on the (USS) headset (-already confirmed inappropriate for the OP)
- Printed routesheet tucked into A4 clear plastic pouch (like you get in WHSmiths/Staples/etc), and tucked inside the front of my shorts with the top half folded back against my thighs. Blows flat in the wind, but can be quickly referenced whilst moving. When you get half way down the page, refold and reposition.

Fiona N

Veteran
I just slip the route card / map into a plastic bag and then use the gripper on my shorts to keep it in place on my thigh. Not the most comfortable with a folded OS map but fine with a route card. Anyway, unless it's a complex route, I can usually memorise a goodly chunk of instructions so it's not like I'm needing the map/card every minute or two. And it does leave a odd shape to your sun tan ...

The alternative was as Arch suggested - slipping the map behind the seat pad on the Windcheetah - fine when I know where I'm going for the next hour or so.

Arch

Married to Night Train
squeaker said:
Route sheet stuffed into sealed plastic bag, strategically folded, then into bum bag (on stomach) or thigh pocket on 3/4 short's (do those work too, Arch?).

Oh, I don't know. You might have to post a pic....:ohmy:

One of our party in France had a mapcase clipped somehow to his trike boom, under his legs.

mcd

Not tried this one with an audax routesheet, but this standard map case worked well with printed OS based maps on a two week tour:

mapholder.jpg

The map rests in a very comfortable position for reading (with under seat steering) for on-the-go route finding - esp after I marked the route out with an orange highlighter! The horizontal strap just above my elbow is there to stop the map case from being blown over my shoulder.

OP
OP
PalmerSperry

PalmerSperry

mcd said:
The map rests in a very comfortable position for reading (with under seat steering) for on-the-go route finding - esp after I marked the route out with an orange highlighter! The horizontal strap just above my elbow is there to stop the map case from being blown over my shoulder.

Ah ha! That looks good, now from where was this map sheet holder purchased? The ones I've found seem to be aimed, it appears, at the walking market and have only a "round the neck" strap.

Arch

Married to Night Train
If you get a mapholder with a fabric/webbing edge to it (the one on my Carradice bar bag has such an edge), then it ought to be possible, with a stout needle and thread, to attach your own extra strap - perhaps with a little snap buckle fastening.

You could even just attach a small crocodile clip to each end of a bit of webbing, and clip it on.

bigtrike

I put route the sheet in a clear plastic bag and elastic band the visable route to my forarm where I can see it as I need. I have also been known to have a map on my other arm.
p.s. it also saves on sun cream!

Top Bottom