NCN 77

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HDG151

Thinking of doing a mini trip, taking the train to Dundee on the Salmon Run, a possible detour around Dunkeld (three lochs route) and before heading to Pitlochry to get train home. Has anyone done this route, any tips to stay off the A9?

Thanks
Hazel

snorri

Legendary Member
, any tips to stay off the A9?

I have not done the route via the three lochs, but it is possible to go from Dunkeld to Pitlochry on quiet roads without going on the A9.
When entering Dunkeld from the 3 lochs turn right into the entrance to the Dunkeld Hilton Hotel follow the road past the hotel, the road comes close to the river here and the path gets a little rougher but press on until you come to the bridge taking you under the A9 and up on the west side of the A9.Follow the pavement alongside the A9 road across the River Tay and take the first on the right up the B898 on the west side of the Tay. Continue for a few miles then take a right for Logierait on a road that takes you back across the Tay via an old railway bridge. At Logierait take a left then a right and up a steep brae on a single track road towards Pitlochry..
The route described is signed as a cycle route and is I believe more scenic with less traffic noise from the A9 than the alternative on the east side of the Tay.

sultzer

dundee to perth part of the 77 near perth from glencarse is up a steep hill and i mean steep , it is great going into perth .

sultzer

i did a lot of the 77 to st madoes not far fromperth , traffic at peak time was only 23 cars , the road is mostly flatish with a few small climbs , cross over 2 rail tracks apart from that ok

Top Bottom