Near miss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dondare

Über Member
User3143 said:
The roads in MK are no different to any other road, as for your second point I'd say that this is hear say' unless of course you have evidence.

I have a deep and enduring prejudice to segregation of this type and am therefore prepared to believe absolutely any disadvantage to it that I can imagine. The experience suffered by the OP is entirely consistant with my theories. What more evidence could you ask for?

peteoc

Black knight said:
So never make a manover with a car anywhere behind you on a 60mph road???

I don't think this is the case, however when the cars are going at stupid speeds then a lot more time is given.

dondare

Über Member
User3143 said:
The roads in MK are no different to any other road, as for your second point I'd say that this is hear say' unless of course you have evidence.

Actually I could argue that the roads of MK are not like other roads because they were laid out in their entirety with motor vehicle traffic in mind.

Most of the roads in Britain predate the invention of motor vehicles and the rules that have evolved to mitigate the dangers that they pose reflect this.

Is the only choice in MK between using redways or 60 mph roads?

dondare

Über Member
hackbike 666 said:
You may be right there Ivan.

They cope in the Netherlands because cycling is considered a normal activity and cyclists are not resented either by pedestrians or motorists. It's all about attitude, not infrastructure.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Black knight said:
So never make a manover with a car anywhere behind you on a 60mph road???

Of course not. But in this case would it have been safer to;
a. let the car go and then make your manoeuvre.
b. pull across the road when a car is a few hundred yards behind you on a 60mph road?

dondare

Über Member
User3143 said:
Eh? Don't be daft Dondare a 60mph road in MK is no different then any other 60mph road you can ride down.

I try to avoid such roads, and usually I have such an option. My 11 mile comute is made mostly on an old coach road which is residential (30 mph) the whole way. I can't think of any NSL roads that I have cycled on recently where I have had to make a right turn.
I suspect that in MK there is not much choice for someone wanting to cycle somewhere who would rather not use the redways but wishes to stay off the fast roads; because having been built after car ownership became practically universal the roads are all made for motor traffic to move fast on and cyclists expected to stay off them.

dondare

Über Member
User3143 said:
How is b so hard?!

Go along the road as you would normally, the filter lane starts, check over your right shoulder judge the speed of the traffic and move across, check over left shoulder when needed for traffic behind you.
I might, if I found myself in this situation, move across to the right side of the right lane.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
User3143 said:
How is b so hard?!

Go along the road as you would normally, the filter lane starts, check over your right shoulder judge the speed of the traffic and move across, check over left shoulder when needed for traffic behind you.
Not hard.. but clearly the OP did something wrong.

dondare

Über Member
gaz said:
Not hard.. but clearly the OP did something wrong.

Another possibility is that the OP's position was textbook-perfect and the driver really wasn't paying attention. This can happen to anyone.

OP
OP
B

Black knight

dondare said:
Another possibility is that the OP's position was textbook-perfect and the driver really wasn't paying attention. This can happen to anyone.

Thanks.

Regardless of where you position yourself on the road, rergardless of how many checks you do...a vehicle could still plough into the back of you.

I can't see any way to avoid this completely bar not using the roads whatsoever.

If I had a paint program I'd do a diagram, i'ts obvious the drivers fault when you see it.

dondare

Über Member
Black knight said:
Thanks.

Regardless of where you position yourself on the road, rergardless of how many checks you do...a vehicle could still plough into the back of you.

I can't see any way to avoid this completely bar not using the roads whatsoever.

If I had a paint program I'd do a diagram, i'ts obvious the drivers fault when you see it.

Yerwelcome. On this forum we have a little game, taking it in turns to play Devil's Advocate and criticise cyclists who complain about bad drivers for their own lack of awareness or poor positioning.
Currently it's Lee's turn to do this.

Top Bottom