near misses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
As some of you know i recently converted my commuter with a legal 250w kit. I have 50 years experience riding both motorcycle s and bicycles and still ride my unpowered bike for pleasure. I tend to ride very defensive ly and almost never have any problems with other road users.
That is untill i started commuting on my e bike.
I don't think i am riding any differently and yet this last week i have had several near misses where cars have passed me and suddenly turned left forcing me to brake quickly and twice today i was cut up on rouderbouts by cars turning off in front of me .
Maybe it's just been a particularly odd week but i was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience when riding power assisted bicycles?

Just an idea but pseudo pedalling downhill seems to stop similar left hook movements so maybe lack of pedalling on e'bikes encourages them too :wacko:

OP
OP
tommaguzzi

tommaguzzi

Über Member
Nice thought but my e bike is legal and is only powered when pedaling. The power cuts off at 15.5 mph so i am not traveling fast. In fact except up hill i go quicker on my regular road bike.

Nice thought but my e bike is legal and is only powered when pedaling. The power cuts off at 15.5 mph so i am not traveling fast. In fact except up hill i go quicker on my regular road bike.
I'm not meaning you're speed. Are you pedalling when the numpties left hook you ? If so pretend pedalling may help, for some reason I seem to get less numpties when I do so.

keithmac

Guru
No better or worse for me on the Gtech or my old normal Mountain Bike.

Your'e probably just unlucky this week..

Think it's probably just bad luck/coincidence - there can't really be any correlation, if speeds and riding styles are the same. I've found that a bit more speed on the ebike means I have generally less problems with traffic.

Top Bottom