Nearly 59 and want a new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Neil woods

hi all.. new to this.
Just getting in the saddle.

Have a limited budget and have see the following:

Cycle king -
Ammaco Team 4.0 29" Wheel MTB Front Suspension Black/Green

or from Halfords a career vengance.

What should I go for given budget ?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Hello Neil It all depends what you want to do with it.

If you are riding on roads or smooth paths you don't need a mountain bike with suspension and knobbly tyres. A mountain bike is harder work to pedal on roads.

Second hand, Decathlon or Halfords would be my recommendations. I presume you're in the South East somewhere if you have a local Cycle King so you should also be within striking distance of a branch of Decathlon. Their road and hybrid bikes are excellent value for money. Ammaco bikes from Cycle King are a false economy really with lower grade componentry and can be discouragingly heavy which is an important consideration when starting out.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As @Banjo says what’s the intended use? Ammaco is a cheap brand, you can do better as in the Vengeance. Both are going to be heavy as compared to a hybrid or road bike. A crossover bike like the one linked above is a good compromise.
Having bought from Cycle King in the past I wouldn’t buy from there again.

The other thing is size, how tall are you and what’s your inside leg measurement? You need to get the right size frame.

BTW welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
thanks @roadrash

@Neil woods as others have said 2 different bikes there , so road or off road ?

not sure where you are based in the uk but if near to Northamptonshire you are welcome to come and try these 2 road bikes i have for sale

The Carrera is a nice bike that would be at home with a bit of gentle tow path useage or a bit of off roading Carrera Tanneri cx bike 21.3"

whilst the Cannondale is more of a road bike 2016 Cannondale Synapse Claris

both are very nice bikes with not a lot of use

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Think the op is wanting a front suspension mountain bike. Both the Ammaco 4.0 & Carerra Vengeance he mentions are MTB’s.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks guys for all your advise.
After trying each bike and speaking each retailer to gauge their responses to questions I had, I decided that I’d go for
The decathlon rockrider520

Looking frwd to taking her out on the forest trail with young son

hats good then , enjoy it

Top Bottom