Nearly got taken out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
manalog said:
Thanks Gaz, I found a Contour HD720 for £199 is this a good price?
http://www.fawkes-cycles.co.uk/7919...720p_HD.aspx?gclid=CO7Nqp2O96ACFclr4wodQhH-fA

Does having a visible Cam help reduce confrontation with motorist? It seems a lot of money but if this will deter motons from having a go I don't mind. I have considered a Muvi Veho but its too small. BTW is the Contour HD waterproof?

The higher priced cams have better resolution and are therefore more likely to pick up detail like number plates. http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/, where I purchased my setup, offer a 5% discount to CC members and have a range of cameras.

In my experience the only effect the cam has on motorists is after you tell them their actions are being caught on film. They very rarely notice it beforehand.

Armegatron

manalog said:
Does having a visible Cam help reduce confrontation with motorist? It seems a lot of money but if this will deter motons from having a go I don't mind. I have considered a Muvi Veho but its too small. BTW is the Contour HD waterproof?

I get a lot of people stopping at lights along side and chatting about the camera, so in my opinion its defiantly visible to motorists. Whether its a deterrent to incidents I'm not sure, I'm going to try mounting mine lower down the helmet to a less visible position and see if there is a noticeable change.

OP
OP
manalog

manalog

Über Member
mike.pembo said:
I get a lot of people stopping at lights along side and chatting about the camera, so in my opinion its defiantly visible to motorists. Whether its a deterrent to incidents I'm not sure, I'm going to try mounting mine lower down the helmet to a less visible position and see if there is a noticeable change.

Looks like I will be purchasing the Contour HD. Anything to deter these motons from having a go even if I have to wear a Blonde Wig!

OP
OP
manalog

manalog

Über Member
I have reported the Incident to the Local Police and they were very sympathetic. Apparently there has been a number of Motons doing this in the Park since the introduction of 20MPH Limit. They also told me that they were catching 25 motorist every hour and half speeding. Unfortunately they don't do this everyday. I was also told that if someone ran you off the road dial 999.
Im still waiting for a reply from Roadsafe...

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
mike.pembo said:

It definitely is - I've just gone the other way from an almost unnoticeable camera to having it very visible on top of my head. The effect is quite astonishing, anecdotally only of course.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Crankarm said:

I have the model below which is 720p. Exactly the same size.

Tinuts said:
The last near miss I reported to roadsafe they didn't even bother to respond.

They generally don't let you know what has happened, but they do often let you know they are looking in to it. This can take up to 5 days to happen. From my knowledge they are a very small team but if you kept the reference number i can give you an e-mail address you can contact to find out more information.

manalog said:
Thanks Gaz, I found a Contour HD720 for £199 is this a good price?
http://www.fawkes-cycles.co.uk/7919...720p_HD.aspx?gclid=CO7Nqp2O96ACFclr4wodQhH-fA

I payed just over 200 for mine, so thats pretty good.

The contourHD has a red recording light on the front, and when turning your head it would be clearly visible to road users behind you.. It doesn't stop some confrontation, i have still had people get out of the car and swear at me for doing NOTHING wrong. But i'm sure pointing out the clearly visible camera has stopped them in their tracks.

OP
OP
manalog

manalog

Über Member
BentMikey said:
It definitely is - I've just gone the other way from an almost unnoticeable camera to having it very visible on top of my head. The effect is quite astonishing, anecdotally only of course.

Hi Mike, Which cam have you got? I ordered my Contour HD last night looks like I will be mounting it on top of my Helmet.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
BentMikey said:
I have a VIO POV.1 which has a separate cam and recorder unit. It's pretty robust.

The question is... where are you keeping the recorder unit? :laugh: :laugh:

Armegatron

manalog said:
Looks like I will be purchasing the Contour HD. Anything to deter these motons from having a go even if I have to wear a Blonde Wig!

Definatly a deterrent and can be useful if you use it correctly.
I was cycling with my fiancee on Saturday, long story short an idiot tried to overtake 5ft before a red light that would have left him on the wrong side of the road so he swings the car sharp left into me (luckily fiancee was behind and shouted so I could brake and swerve). At the lights Mrs Pembo was annoyed and told the driver "you almost killed him" - his reply was "good, I dont care". I knew the camera had ran out of battery a while back so I wasnt capturing anything, however he didnt know that. I popped infront of his car, told him he was on camera and read his reg etc making everything as loud as I could to attract attention. I sat there infront of him for 2 cycles of green lights and he sat there like a good boy because he thought he was on camera and had to behave. A copper came after a few mins and gave the guy a warning... result ;)

OP
OP
manalog

manalog

Über Member
mike.pembo said:
Definatly a deterrent and can be useful if you use it correctly.
I was cycling with my fiancee on Saturday, long story short an idiot tried to overtake 5ft before a red light that would have left him on the wrong side of the road so he swings the car sharp left into me (luckily fiancee was behind and shouted so I could brake and swerve). At the lights Mrs Pembo was annoyed and told the driver "you almost killed him" - his reply was "good, I dont care". I knew the camera had ran out of battery a while back so I wasnt capturing anything, however he didnt know that. I popped infront of his car, told him he was on camera and read his reg etc making everything as loud as I could to attract attention. I sat there infront of him for 2 cycles of green lights and he sat there like a good boy because he thought he was on camera and had to behave. A copper came after a few mins and gave the guy a warning... result ;)

Glad you are alright and the Moton got warning from the Police.

My Contour HD will be arriving this week I hope and hopefully will help with my personal safety. I bet if you didn't have a Cam he probably would have a go at you.

BTW, I got a response from RoadsafeLondon :biggrin:

Armegatron

manalog said:
Glad you are alright and the Moton got warning from the Police.

My Contour HD will be arriving this week I hope and hopefully will help with my personal safety. I bet if you didn't have a Cam he probably would have a go at you.

BTW, I got a response from RoadsafeLondon ;)

Yeah, I think if the cam wasn't there Id have been forced to just let him go. Once I got in front of him and pointed the camera out to him he immediately changed his behavior and was visibly scared. I think he also knew I wasn't messing round when I said I could wait in front of him all day - I hope he was in a hurry:biggrin:

Top Bottom