Nearly there !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ACQPL

At long last, I'm finally getting into cycling properly ! On top of that i'm trying to take the bike more often than the car to work. It makes parking much easier, plus my place of work already has storage area designed for bikes (We use bikes at work !)

Quick question for those much wiser then I am...

The frame size of my bike is correct, as the smaller size was far too... well, small !

I find the drop bars very comfy to hold on the tops, but getting down low for a descent means I need to consciously flatten my back and tilt my hips forward to get comfortable (not stretching too far with arms)
Is this something I'll eventually get used to ?

This should (hopefully ?) show the position/angle of the bars.. Can I tilt them up at all ? / would that help ?
From what I can tell they are in the correct place using the "can you see the hub" method...
https://flic.kr/p/nqRw3o
Thanks

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I ride on the hoods 90% of the time, when I want to thrash it, on a downhill or a flat I may drop down to the lower position. It is perfectly cool and acceptable to stay on the hoods.
On longer rides, 50 miles plus you need to vary your position or you'll get back ache, so lowering your position can be a real relief.

Nice bike btw - looks really robust. I wan't one. Will be looking on the interweb now....

Ahhh, a CX, I need one.

Those super smooth welds are impressive!

OP
OP
A

ACQPL

Thank-you for the reply !
Often I find that on some of the cross winds/face wind are a complete nightmare - And although I'm possibly the last person after the cool look, I do feel it makes my ride safer if i'm presenting less of a target for the wind, be it from in front or the side.

Thank-you, it is a very, very good investment. Worth every penny and its built like a brick outhouse !

OP
OP
A

ACQPL

Ahh - I wouldn't worry too much about them.. Cycling I do for enjoyment (and possibly discipline if I stick with it enough).. Shooting is firmly in the professional discipline category !

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Ahh - I wouldn't worry too much about them.. Cycling I do for enjoyment (and possibly discipline if I stick with it enough).. Shooting is firmly in the professional discipline category !
In that case, i'll have a stab at answering for real.

If you want to "angle" the bars up a bit, there are a few ways.

First, you can flip your stem. (The bar that joins your bars to the head set), It is formed at an angle that places the bars parallel to the floor, but as the headset isn't vertical, the stem has to be shaped to an angle at one end. This means that if you turn it upside down, it points a little more skyward.

Secondly, you can just tilt the bars a little, loosen the stem bracket (the clamp that the bars pass through) and sort of rotate the bars in the clamp so that the hoods are pointing back...or up, little more

Lastly, you can buy a shorter stem, this will bring your shoulders and upper body backwards a little and provide more reach.

Having said all that, i would maybe think for a while before adjusting everything so that you can ride on the drops. Riders tend to spend more time on the hoods, so it may be better to focus on a comfortable position that you will spend most time in.

Last edited:
I like to switch my position between the tops and the hoods and don't really use the drops (unless on a very steep descent)...I'd always say, just go with what feels the most comfortable :-)

Top Bottom