Neck/ Shoulder Pain, just started same bike (s).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

exigetastic

Hi all, first of all as this is my first post please be gentle (esp. as I'm suffering a bit atm :wacko:)

My situation is this: I've been riding regularly for the last 4 years both on and off road. I have had the same two bikes over the last 2-3 years (Trek Madone, and Scott MC20) Both have around 2,000 miles on them. (obviously I don't ride enough xx()

After an easy (cycling wise) 6 months, I'm starting to get some more commute time in (14 miles round trip / 4-5 days a week) But now I'm really starting to struggle with neck pain :boxing:

Nothing on the bikes has changed set-up wise, I've not put on any weight, my speed is a little down (but getting back nicely).

The pain doesn't seem to be affected by which bike I ride, though the worst incident happened last week riding round Sherwood Pines on the MTB. 18 months ago I rode the exact bike on a century+, and felt fine.

Obviously I'm getting older (now 35) so maybe it's that xx(

But any other suggestions gratefully received

Si

col

Legendary Member
I wonder if you pulled a bit hard on the bars when you were not used to the extra pull and pulled something, maybe before warming up enough? Frozen peas in a cloth and brufen to help get rid?

OP
OP
E

exigetastic

Wow thanks for the quick reply!!

Possibly... Strange thing is it's been on and off for over a couple of months now :wacko:

Time to buy shares in nurofen xx(

Si

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I had similar, though mine was also related to setup, but the initial trigger was honking up hill and pulling hard on the bars, definitely felt something go. Despite fixing setup etc it still took about a month to clear up. I had to be really careful about pulling back on the bars as it could easily set it off. Split second thing but the rest of the ride would see me in real pain, just at junction of neck and right shoulder.

Hont

Guru
Can you describe the pain a bit more? Is it referred into your arms (with a bit of numbness or pins and needles) or just a localised twinge? Your Sherwood Pines ride - were you going fast or taking it easy?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you haven't changed anything, it will be the fact you are on the bike more - your neck and back will adjust.

I got this about 3 years back when, after a light period of riding, I started upping the miles - killed for a while until my neck/shoulders/back became used to it.

OP
OP
E

exigetastic

Hont said:
Can you describe the pain a bit more? Is it referred into your arms (with a bit of numbness or pins and needles) or just a localised twinge? Your Sherwood Pines ride - were you going fast or taking it easy?

No tingling / numbness. Feels like my neck is really stiff, for example to talk to people I find I turn my upper body rather than my head.

If I move my neck suddenly i sometimes also get a sharp pain. Feels like just below the base of my skull down across the back edge of my neck to my shoulder. Had that on both sides.

Sherwood pines... easy, what's that ?:biggrin: :wahhey:

Si

Hont

Guru
exigetastic said:
No tingling / numbness. Feels like my neck is really stiff, for example to talk to people I find I turn my upper body rather than my head.

If I move my neck suddenly i sometimes also get a sharp pain. Feels like just below the base of my skull down across the back edge of my neck to my shoulder. Had that on both sides.

Sherwood pines... easy, what's that ?:biggrin: :wacko:

Si

I had a theory but the facts don't match it :evil:. Might be worth a visit to a chiropractor. Otherwise a doctor would probably advise time off the bike and see if it clears up (doctors normally advise this in my experience :wacko:).

Alternatively find "Treat your own Neck" by Robin McKenzie in a book store and try his advice.

Good luck.

E-Bygum

getting it in the neck

Neck pain and any pain for that matter is down to posture I think and ok the mountain bike style is ok for some but not regular comutes surely? I mentioned in the electric bike thread that my electric sport is based on the more sit up and beg position and with some help from the electrics on hills etc it will not be beaten for an all round bike I swear by it. When we were teens our hobby due to not having the cash back then was to build our own bikes from what ever we could get for free so we had all manner of seats handlebars etc. we turned the drop bars upright for a good grip on hills and we also had the chopper cow horn bars they looked cool but totally useless if not dangerous:laugh: anyway we did have what closely resembled the modern mountain bike back in the mid 70's with what were they called vickers handlebars? we learned back then a good posture and comfy bike was worth its wait in gold so my new bike is like a retro and good price not like some of the crazies I see bandied about
http://futurecycling.webs.com/ if they did these cycles with twice the battery amp under 500 pounds I think the car could become a minority around towns

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If your position is right, and you are used to it - 7 plus hours with a flat back (on a road bike) is perfectly comfortable.

The problem with sit up and beg is that you put a hell of alot of weight on your butt.

Top Bottom