Need a good back light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nicholas

Über Member
Hi all I need a new back light as autumn draws in had a see sense but it recently died on me could do with a bomb proof replacement cost not an issue but must be usb chargeable many thanks in advance

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The cob lights that Aldi do are excellent, I can’t remember if they sold the rear on its own or paired with the front. Either way they’re well worth getting.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I bought a front and rear pair from Lidl last year. They were about £11, which is quite good for USB rechargeable ones. They were also really bright and didn't go out when I hit a bump, unlike my previous lights.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Jobsworth Dogstar from Planet X (due in stock next week)
LIJODOG100_P1.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Jobsworth Dogstar from Planet X (due in stock next week)
lijodog100_p1-jpg.jpg

I'm not sure that the advertised 'retina busting' power is actually a good thing! :whistle:

I was on one forum ride that finished in the dark and was doing the last descent on an unlit road after sunset. The riders in front of me had rear lights so bright that I could barely see where I was going and had to drop way back behind them. My night vision was completely shot and I could still see red blobs where the lights had been, even though they were way into the distance by then.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
View attachment 547589
I'm not sure that the advertised 'retina busting' power is actually a good thing! :whistle:

I was on one forum ride that finished in the dark and was doing the last descent on an unlit road after sunset. The riders in front of me had rear lights so bright that I could barely see where I was going and had to drop way back behind them. Even then my night vision was completely shot and I could still see red blobs where the lights had been, even though they were way into the distance by then.
I just run mine on the lowest power setting (flash or steady) and it's plenty bright enough without being dazzling.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just run mine on the lowest power setting (flash or steady) and it's plenty bright enough without being dazzling.
Plenty bright enough for daytime running but has lower settings for more sociable night time illumination.
I rode with someone else who had a super-bright Hope rear light. He ran it on a sunny day and its distinctive flash pattern was very eye-catching and not a problem in those conditions.

I think that it would be a good idea for very bright rear lights to have light detectors built in to automatically dim them to a sensible brightness level at night otherwise many people will just ride around dazzling those behind them, which isn't great for anybody - nobody wants to be rammed by someone who has been temporarily blinded!

Top Bottom