Need a good set of lights - recommendations please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HeartfeltDawn

Right, the nights are drawing in and so I need to buy lights suitable for dark country lanes. Half of the journey will be on decently lit roads, the rest on the dark lanes. There's a huge range of choices and I haven't decided what budget I've got. If you'd like to recommend a cheapish set and something more expensive, that would be much appreciated :smile:

- Baz -

Don't mean to sound patronising, but try the search function - lots of info. ie previous recent threads: Front lights Rear lights

g00se

Veteran
There's an article in this month's Cycling Active on high power lights.

Best on a budget were these.

If you have the cash, these two were recommended. The latter got 10/10.

The Hope Vision 2 - which a lot recommend - came out poor in comparison with the rest tested.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
For a cheap set, it's really hard to beat this one from Saik. :thumbsup: It is probably the bargain of the year. Surprisingly bright - but the rear one is 'not very good' (it's c**p actually but for £5.60 .... :laugh:)

I plan on going out tonight to do a 'proper' night-time test but results thus far are impressive.

At the more expensive end (£30 - 60 :becool:), have a look at this guy's blog and his eBay stuff - click on the See Other Items under the Seller info on the right.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
£60 for front lights on a budget.

:eek:

Depends if you are going to ride on unlit routes or normal roads.

For a "cheap" front light i like this, i have one myself for normal roads..

http://www.edinburgh...4c003152c003243

Thar's a set i just have the front light and one of these on the back...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Smart-Lunar-R...070674&cguid=20eca25912b0a0aa1710db90ffe1740a

If you do not mind a wait look at this site...
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18307

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
For a cheap set, it's really hard to beat this one from Saik. :thumbsup: It is probably the bargain of the year. Surprisingly bright - but the rear one is 'not very good' (it's c**p actually but for £5.60 .... :laugh:)

I plan on going out tonight to do a 'proper' night-time test but results thus far are impressive.

At the more expensive end (£30 - 60 :becool:), have a look at this guy's blog and his eBay stuff - click on the See Other Items under the Seller info on the right.

Had a wee ride in the dark this evening and reckon that the little Saik is excellent for being seen under any street lights or none. Flashing mode is an added bonus for being seen.

While riding in the dark, with a little ambient light, the light is good out to about 10 metres in front and fine for speeds up to 30 kph. Admittedly, this was on a route I know quite well; I would be happy to ride up to 20 kph on unknown roads - which is a bit slow but still 'safe home' capable.

Now I need to find out more about these £30-60 ones and make a decision
wacko.gif
. Riding along in the dark is rather pleasant too
thumbsup.png

Top Bottom