Need A New Chain!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve23

so.....

my current chain has seen a fair few miles on it, and i think its time I changed it, as its a tad stretched too!

but looking at the online sites, theres so much choice of what to buy!

i dont want to break the bank, but i need a decent chain for my best bike, which is used for a lot of racing, plus training aswel!

ive heard a lot about KMC chains? anyone any info?

i run 10speed 105 if that matters?

thanks

SRAM are always my first choice, the more you spend the more plating you get and the longer they last. Within reason. Their top chains have hollow pins too, which is nice....

Invest in a chain checker to prevent knackering your cassette. Again.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Mine have only lasted about 1500miles tops. Last one was 1000miles.
Get a chain wear indicator or go onto Sheldon Browns page and he has a guide which you can use to see how stretched your chain is, and if you need a new chain. I put it down on a block of wood and use that as a guide, then take it to the LBS when it gets close and i get told roughly how many miles i got left then.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Joe24 said:
Mine have only lasted about 1500miles tops. Last one was 1000miles.

I get about 5000 miles out of mine however I read somewhere that chains last longer on smaller hubs. Oh the joy of my 12 speed 1980's dawes :sad:

Joe24

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
I get about 5000 miles out of mine however I read somewhere that chains last longer on smaller hubs. Oh the joy of my 12 speed 1980's dawes :sad:

I wish my hub was smaller aswell. I'm only running an 8 though. Would hate to think how long an 11 speed would last:eek:
Still yet to try a KMC or a Sram chain. Used Shimano and Sun Race at the moment.

Joe24

bonj said:
my current chain's about 1600 miles and counting

How long has that taken you Bonj, and how many gears you got? Might be the lack of mudguards stop the run off water dripping on the chain :sad:
The new chain isnt going too bad. I've been cleaning it alot more, after about every ride its had a wipe down and some oil put on it. Not sure how long its lasted though. Will find out tomorrow when i know when i got the new chain. Must be about 1000miles and its still going alright, i think:wacko:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've just fitted a 9spd fairly cheap KMC chain and it seems fine, better than the Ultegra one it replaced. Regarding plating, I read an article/interview from a KMC guy who let slip that the plating adds little technical value to a chain, so go for something plain.
The SRAM hollow-pins look good though.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Another recommendation for KMC. I've just fit a KMC on my 10 spd 105 & it runs smoother than the previous 105 chain & about half the price :biggrin:

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I was recommended a KMC (by Fossyant IIRC) and so far its been superb.

I killed my stock SCR3 chain in 700 miles, this one has done just over that and is nowhere near the chain wear indicator slipping in :biggrin:

Mind you, looking back, the stock chain was a KMC too, maybe a very low spec one?
This is the chain I'm currently using.

Top Bottom