need a new headset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
specific type, I have a crossroads too but it's in the hallway and I can't remember what was in it but they all come in different shapes and sizes which reminds me I need to sort the one out on my other bike

Sorry brain farting, not that helpful really but too sniffly to venture downstairs and out into the hall

accountantpete

Brexiteer
There are loads of different designs and sizes.

Step one - establish whether it is traditional,semi-integrated or integrated.

The difference between these is the design of the cup that holds the bearings.

Traditional headsets - the cup consists of a thin tube which wedges in the headtube and the bearing race which remains outside the headtube.The internal shape of the headtube will be plain with no ledges.

Semi-integrated - the thin tube is dispensed with and bearing race cup is wedged in the top of the headtube which has a horizontal ledge within to hold the cup.

Integrated - the replaceable bearing cup is dispensed with altogether and it's features are incorporated into the headtube construction- you should see a ledge with a 45% angle inside the headtube. The bearings are placed directly on to this - so the integrated headset is just two bearings and two seals at either end.

Then you go to the Cane Creek headset fit finder and (with measurements) work out which one you need.Make sure the stack height is ok.

Alternatively you can go round to the LBS and ask them to fit one.

Zoiders

The Crossroads still came with a quill headset for quite some time before a few years of A-head before they discontinued it so it could be quill

It's a normal 1"1/8 A-headset if it's a later crossroads, they leave the steerer cut long for adustment so I doubt you will struggle with stack height.

Get whats cheap and works.

I certainly hope it's not an intergrated as the dead cups would have killed the frame, I am fairly certain it's not on all but maybe the last year or so of production but sadly Spesh have removed the archived product lines from their web page.

Top Bottom