Need advice and info on good trails in East Anglia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jadlem

Have been getting back into cycling and realised I missed the thrill of bombing around on a mountain bike. I used to cycle everywhere as a kid.

I have a couple of routes round my village for getting fit on my hybrid, but have just bought a new hardtail mtb with the aim of hooning around thetford forest.

Thetford is about 30 minutes drive from my location just outside Ely, I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere closer or in and around the Cambridge area?

I'm also a bit new to some of the technology changes in bikes recently. I now have hydraulic disc brakes and seem to be paranoid about looking after them. It seems I may have assumed that MTBs were low maintenance!

Thanks in advance for any offers of help!

J

Wobbly John

Veteran
Thetford is the best MTBing in the area. Any trails close to Ely will be claggy with clay-mud at the moment

High Lodge is expensive for parking, so most people head to Brandon Country park - Better cafe too.

There is also parking at Mayday Farm, but there have been problems with cars being broken into in the past.

Thetford Black route is getting rather worn, but the rollercoaster 'Beast of the East' is worth the effort.

The Red trail has been improved in the last year.

Jerry at JT Cycles (behing the garage at Chettisham) is the best shop in the Ely area and he will have good knowledge of where the best trails are, and may be able to hook you up with some riders to show you the trails.

I'm at Littleport, but I ride mostly road nowadays.

e-rider

crappy member
I've been based in Norwich for the last couple of years and apart from thetford forest there really isn't much on offer (or at least I've not found it yet). For this reason, I'm looking forward to leaving east anglia one day soon(ish)

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I was down that way earlier this year & did a stretch of the Peddars way which runs through Thetford Forest. The 10 mile or so that i did was fairly easy going & ok for any level, unless you want something more advanced

OP
OP
J

jadlem

thanks for the heads up. I never knew there was a bike shop in chettisham, will have to pop by soon.

I had a funny feeling that East Anglia was lacking on the trails front. Thetford it is then.

Anyone done any Bikejoring? I have a collie cross that normally comes out with me for a ride, saw this bikejoring thing on you tube and it got me thinking....

Top Bottom