Need advice on buying new bicycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SmokedAllegro

Good afternoon. I am an older rider who owns an Allegro Special. It is an old bicycle, and I'd like to get a new bike. My problem is that I have been "out of the loop" for some time regarding bicycles and components. I know there is an entire new world out there beyond Reynolds 531 and Columbus tubing, Campy Neuvo Record equipment, and my cold-forged, Mavic Dural Forge, center pull brakes.

Assume, for the sake of discussion, that money is no object; just the law of diminishing returns. Assume further, that although I am in good shape, without back problems, I may well want flat handlebars (an excellent hybrid, instead of another road bike). I am looking for a frame that is not too stiff (even in its day, my Allegro had a longer wheelbase, and a substantial rake of the front fork). On the other hand, I want something stiff enough to transfer energy reasonably efficiently.

Do I buy a carbon frame? Or? I understand that many hybrids use Shimano Ultegra components. Are they sufficiently good, or should I consider Dura Ace or some other brand? Should I consider electronic shifters or are index shifters just about as good? What about brakes? Should I get hydraulic ones, or "drivers" or something else? What brands are excellent? Is there much quality difference in the head set and bottom bracket between a bike in the $1500 range and $3000 or more?

What about wheels? Should I get 700C rims? Which brands are of excellent quality? Tires? Same issues.

What about bicycle brands? I know that Trek and Specialized are good. Are there others that are just as good or better? What are they? Does it make any sense to consider a custom-built bike? At what price point does the law of diminishing returns set in? Remember, I am not a young, excellent racer trying to make grand tours, but an older guy who wants to enjoy relatively (progressively) long, recreational rides on good pavement.

Thank you for any advice or opinions you may have. I appreciate it. I hope to find and enjoy a new bicycle of excellent quality.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Too many questions really. OK a bike is sum of parts but it is also an entity in itself, designed to do a specific job. So I guess you have to decide what that job is. You mention pootling along on the pavement, so try to pick somethong that is proficient at doing that. Little point in getting carbon framed racer with ultegra if your needs are simple. Components? Well there are no such thing as duff or poor components, your bike will come with a group set that is appropriate to that model and price point. As for diminishing returns any bike around say $800 would be a good quality I would reckon, you can spend more but you wouldn't be getting any more functional value. As for brands there are many quality manufacturers out there. As the largest volume producer Giant also make for many other brands so don't pay too much attention to names. I would have thought some sort of hybrid would suit you quite well, just find one that suits you. Good luck.

Top Bottom