Need an adapter to fit my footpump and blow up a presta valve, this one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSV_Ecosse

Hi folks,

I've just knackered my track pump. Can't complain as it was a cheap Tesco job and has lasted years. Planned a run tomorrow but need to check my tyre pressures and make sure they are good to go. I've got vouchers to spend from Xmas for the Edinburgh Bike Co-op so intend ordering a decent track pump from there but in the meantime, I wanted to see if I could use my double barrel foot pump?. I need a valve adapter of some sort as it is a standard foot pump ( used to blow car and motorbike tyres up ) but I'm not sure what adapter to go for. Halfrauds have two, one that says its a Presta adapter and one a Schrader adapter. What one do I need to fit the foot pump properly that will enable me to connect to a Presta valve? :-

Presta adapter -

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._-Product_Details_Zone_1-_-Blank&iozone=PDPz1

Schrader adapter -

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._-Product_Details_Zone_1-_-Blank&iozone=PDPz1

You would think it would be the Presta adapter, but upon zooming in on the image, the valve end looks a bit strange?. Or is it just me being daft?.

Ta.

compo

Veteran
Neither of those are any good for a foot pump. You need a presta to schrader adaptor (or should that be a schrader to presta adaptor?) which is a small device that screws onto your presta valve and allows the schrader pump to connect to it. I would be surprised if Halfords don't do them and they are not expensive.

trans.png

OP
OP
RSV_Ecosse

RSV_Ecosse

Ah right guys, cheers. I'll have a look for one of those. As I said, its really just an interim measure till the track pump I've ordered arrives, the valve adapter will allow me to get out for a ride tomorrow as the tyres do need pumped up since my last ride.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Ask the LBS for the longest adaptor available. The short ones can be useless as the schrader pump plastic pin depresses the presta valve, thereby letting the air escape.
I'll go and measure mine later

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Does this mean that you go out without any means of dealing with a puncture? I mean, you don't have a pump to carry on the bike?

OP
OP
RSV_Ecosse

RSV_Ecosse

Does this mean that you go out without any means of dealing with a puncture? I mean, you don't have a pump to carry on the bike?

I have a mobile phone, a wife at home and a large 4x4. ^_^

Seriously though, yes - I carry a CO2 inflator and a mini pump. Looks like I'll need to use the mini pump tomorrow as a few folk have said that a foot pump designed for a car will never inflate a road bike tyre to 120psi. Mini pump - plenty of upper body exercise in store for me tomorrow then.

Top Bottom