need gears explained in a laymans term

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jackthelad

Hi looking at a brompton for the wife,and need gears explained,she hopes to use it for island hops and 1-2 day touring. Scotland is very hilly and looking to accommodate for them.Does she get a 6 speed with -12% on a front 44t or a 50t, what does this relate to in mtb gears with triple at front say (50.39,30 and a 11/32 at the rear.By explaining and relating to the mtb gearing she will understand, so any help appreciated,so I can get a bit of peace --- thanks

jackthelad

The standard set up is roughly equal in range to a 42 front and 11-14-18-22-27-34 back.
The top gear is 100" so you'll spinout at ~30 mph.
The 12% smaller is roughly equal in range to a 38 front and 11-14-18-22-27-34 back.
The top gear is 88" so you'll spinout at ~25 mph.
There's about half a gear between the two ranges.

With a full MTB triple, you'll probably be missing the top 2 and bottom 3 gears with the higher range and the top 3 and lower 2 gears with the smaller range.
And every other gear in the middle of the range ......... :P

OP
OP
J

jackthelad

Tiger thanks for explaining, she is happy on the flats cyclinga (39)(11,12,14) and looking at your explanation she has plenty of low gears for hils

Brommyboy

Über Member
Standard Brompton gearing is too high for touring. Even the 44T 6-speed could be improved on. Unfortunately Brompton do not supply a better chain wheel: for me a 42T would be ideal, but my Welsh friend uses a 38T for his steep climbs. However, Scottish hills are longer but less severe than the Welsh ones, so the 44T 6-speed is the best available option.

Top Bottom