Need help choosing fast commuter bike

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by nightoff, 17 May 2010.

1. nightoff

nightoff New Member

I am after changing my current 10 yr old hybrid for something a little quicker for my 20 mile tarmac daily commute. Audax bikes seem to fit the bill but are very expensive, no doubt because they are for a minority market. My LBS doesn't stock them so I would have to probably buy online.
    Can anyone recommend something suitable for a £500 budget.
    My wish list is
    Tyres upto 700 x 28c
    Full mudguards
    Braze ons for panniers
    Dependable group set
    Drop handlebars
    No suspension
    As a guide for comparison, the nearest to this wish list I have seen is probably the Ribble winter trainer on a Sora groupset. Any others worth considering?

2. Condor Fratello meets most, if not all, your requirements but for a little more than your budget if you can stretch it (£549) It looks good in yellow too IMHO.

Bill

3. OP
    OP
    nightoff

nightoff New Member

Is the Condor Fratello at £549 just for the frame set?

4. Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang Guru

5. OP
    OP
    nightoff

nightoff New Member

These look like quite nice bikes, but are a little on the heavy duty side of what I am after.

I would prefer something lighter for weekend blasts so will probably keep my eyes peeled for something more suitable on fleabay.

6. joggingbob

joggingbob Well-Known Member

£549 for the Fratello would be Frame only.

7. My apologies, I didn't realise the Fratello could cost up to £2k.....oops!

8. l4dva

l4dva Über Member

How about a specialized tricross? I used to have one and it could do all of the above...

9. Tifosi CK7 with Sora groupset, only problem is it's £699. Sorry, best I could think of.

10. The Jogger

The Jogger Guru

11. OP
    OP
    nightoff

nightoff New Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice