Need help deciphering the year on this Schwinn Le Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OrionBike

Hey all,
I have acquired a 1970s Japan-made Schwinn Le Tour to restore. I'm trying to nail down the exact year on it. It has been challenging because some parts were upgraded (Mafac Racer brakes, Shimano Tourney derailleur, etc) and it appears to have been (at least partially) repainted. I can't find this paint scheme online (silver with black lettering). I know the serial number is a good way to tell for sure, but this serial number is just crazy. I can't tell if this has been modified or if it's just some weird format that I have yet to find info on. Any ideas? I have a lot more pics, if needed.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8034.JPG
    IMG_8034.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7913.JPG
    IMG_7913.JPG
    296.9 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
OrionBike

OrionBike

Follow up.. I did find some Schwinn Super Le Tour frames with this paint scheme, but they have different parts.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Interesting bike. That's the first time I've heard a Tourney derailleur referred to as an upgrade ^_^ .
Schwinn made some very decent bikes once upon a time. I had a Traveler (one L) which had Shimano group, a cro-mo frame (made in US) and US made rims.
Maybe a little later than yours.

2014-05-13 18.47.29.jpg

netman

Veteran
From Schwinn Bulletin 23, "Schwinn Bicycle Identification Numbers":

Bicycles from Japan have a production month letter in either the first or second position and a production year number in the other (first or second) position. Examples J677123 = September, 1976, 6J77123 = September, 1976.
The 8F could indicate yours to be June 1978...

Some good history here... https://frugalaveragebicyclist.com/2021/08/19/schwinn-approved-le-tour-complete-guide/ if you can ignore the pop up ads...

They did the Super Le Tour in 'Silver Mist' in '78 as you say... the crank set and FD on yours look right for that year...

OP
OP
OrionBike

OrionBike

From Schwinn Bulletin 23, "Schwinn Bicycle Identification Numbers":

Bicycles from Japan have a production month letter in either the first or second position and a production year number in the other (first or second) position. Examples J677123 = September, 1976, 6J77123 = September, 1976.
The 8F could indicate yours to be June 1978...

Some good history here... https://frugalaveragebicyclist.com/2021/08/19/schwinn-approved-le-tour-complete-guide/ if you can ignore the pop up ads...

They did the Super Le Tour in 'Silver Mist' in '78 as you say... the crank set and FD on yours look right for that year...

Thanks. Great info. I figured it might be 1978. But, what's the deal with the 2nd set of numbers engraved below the first one? Different format, different font. Is this some sort of aftermarket addition? And also... the 4 digit number on the head badge. I believe this also indicates 1978 .🤔

Attachments

• IMG_8032.JPG
    IMG_8032.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7942.JPG
    IMG_7942.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
OP
OP
OrionBike

OrionBike

Interesting bike. That's the first time I've heard a Tourney derailleur referred to as an upgrade ^_^ .
Schwinn made some very decent bikes once upon a time. I had a Traveler (one L) which had Shimano group, a cro-mo frame (made in US) and US made rims.
Maybe a little later than yours.

View attachment 703362

Instead of "upgrade", I should have said "modification from the original" 😎

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Has it had a front end collision?
Before you spend time & money on this I would check the front fork as it looks bent and the front tyre looks oddly close to the down tube.

Agreed, it might be the photograph but it does look a bit odd at the front.
Are there any dents or creases under the down tube near to the gear levers?

Top Bottom