Need help identifying possible head badge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

menotume

I recently found this item while metal detecting a property which dates back to 1787. I'm not even sure that it's a head badge, but research showed me that Wannamaker made the Continental line of bikes in the 1890's. Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_20160401_190331~2.jpg

steve50

Disenchanted Member
John Wanamaker appears to have been a department store circa 1896. Also linked to bicycles. http://cdm15017.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p268001coll12/id/10807

OP
OP
menotume

menotume

Thank you all. I should have been more specific with my question. Indeed, Wanamaker's is/was a large department store in Philadelphia. I was there several times as a young lad.

I am trying to identify the piece and place an approximate year on it. I don't even know if it's a head badge. It's flattened out, not curved like it was on a head tube. I haven't been able to find any pictures of a matching item with google. It's 1 7/8" wide by 2 1/2" tall.

Thanks again for all the quick replys. You guys are great.

OP
OP
menotume

menotume

@classic33 , no sir. I have seen that catalog before, but I couldn't find a pic that showed the head badge well enough. I'll keep looking, thanks again!

Edit: $2 extra for brakes, rofl

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Thank you. So what I found IS from a bicycle? How were you able to date it? I am new to metal detecting, and this would be my oldest find so far :smile:
Company(bicycle) went from father to son at that time. Son put middle initial on the badge when he took over bike production.

Top Bottom