need help identifying

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
V

Vlampi

Hi! I was going to suggest Puch as well. It has certain similarities as midlife said.
You might be able to narrow down the year of manufacture by looking for the date stamp on the backs of the brake calipers.
The wheels and tyres look vey similar to those which are fitted to my Puch. Does it have an air brake rear brake mounting fitted to the rear stays instead of a small tube ?
Could not find the stamp on the breaks but stamp on the derailleur is 5081 which shoild be 50th week of 1981 uf i am not mistaking

OP
OP
V

Vlampi

I have found the stamp on the brakes, also 81, so i think we could say it is from 1981!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Perhaps @Gravity Aided could help out on that one?
Schwinn made a Continental but that model was internally lugged, and very heavy. We were just working on one at the co-op yesterday. That looks to have had a square badge, Schwinns was a circle or oval, and would have had Schwinn on it as well. I feel this may be an A/D-Puch-Steyr sort of thing. Some of those came to the States as Sears bicycles, especially three speeds.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
170px-Current_Schwinn_Headbadge.jpg
untitled-1.jpg

Attachments

• Stingray%20HeadBadge%20White.jpg
    Stingray%20HeadBadge%20White.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Strangely I was going to say Puch, it's the dropouts that made me think that, the way the tubes are flattened over the dropouts....

Hi! I was going to suggest Puch as well. It has certain similarities as midlife said. The wheels and tyres look vey similar to those which are fitted to my Puch.

I'm not 100% convinced it's Puch, unless they used two slight different variants of their tube crimping & welding technique at their factory in Graz. I have a Puch 3 speed which, IIRC I got in 1984/85, and whilst the tubes are crimped & welded, the join and dropout has a heavily embossed criss-cross pattern on it.
The OP's frame actually looks more similar to the construction of my 1985 "Astra" roadster, nominally made at the Elswick-Falcon facility at Barton-on-Humber. The tube crimping & joining and rear brake plate are virtually identical, although the lugwork is different. I suspect my roadster frame is a rebadged budget import and not a proper UK build.

That flat plate on the rear brake mount would almost certainly confirm it as Puch. Rebranded for sale in a retail chain or perhaps mail order?

It seems to imply European origin. I have a Raleigh which has the same air brake mounting .
1980's would seem to be the year and would tie in with that type of mounting .

My Raleigh Pioneer 18-23 Hi-tensile frame from '91 has a flat brake plate, as did the '92 ladies Pioneer I used as a mechanical donor. My Reynolds 501 version has a tubular brake bridge, so the flat plate looks to be a budget frame only feature.

I'm not 100% convinced it's Puch, unless they used two slight different variants of their tube crimping & welding technique at their factory in Graz. I have a Puch 3 speed which, IIRC I got in 1984/85, and whilst the tubes are crimped & welded, the join and dropout has a heavily embossed criss-cross pattern on it.
The OP's frame actually looks more similar to the construction of my 1985 "Astra" roadster, nominally made at the Elswick-Falcon facility at Barton-on-Humber. The tube crimping & joining and rear brake plate are virtually identical, although the lugwork is different. I suspect my roadster frame is a rebadged budget import and not a proper UK build.
I was saying that it has certain similarities in build as a Puch. I agree that the rear dropout is different in the way that they are welded in . The Puch does have marks left in it from the welding process, a bit like a Blacksmith's weld. Top of the range Puch cycles were made from Reynolds 531 tubing and were made in the conventional style .
It is a puzzle , having a square badge should help identify it as not many use that shape .

My Raleigh Pioneer 18-23 Hi-tensile frame from '91 has a flat brake plate, as did the '92 ladies Pioneer I used as a mechanical donor. My Reynolds 501 version has a tubular brake bridge, so the flat plate looks to be a budget frame only feature.

Top Bottom