need help, is this Marin ok for newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frankie d

Regular
Hi guys I’m looking for a bike for the other half. Hasn’t ridden for 20+ years we have a 14 month old baby which the mrs would like a seat of some form to sit said baby on. Any suggestions would be welcomed also??

I have been looking on ebay schpock and this morning gum tree. I thought I may be able to get her something for sub £100 however everything looks very average, as I say this bike will be used fortnightly at most.
However just stumbled across a Marin bear mountain for £160. It looks very clean would this do?

if not where shall we look?
Thanks guys 😀

Attachments

• 63D07595-F192-4C33-A99C-F2723C96DFC4.png
    63D07595-F192-4C33-A99C-F2723C96DFC4.png
    169.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 7EFEB11E-6449-4FBB-8339-8411537B4C69.png
    7EFEB11E-6449-4FBB-8339-8411537B4C69.png
    128.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 62849B19-2697-41F8-B5A2-D249E6228BA0.png
    62849B19-2697-41F8-B5A2-D249E6228BA0.png
    210.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 53E68333-7D49-4071-A01A-2272998EEFC7.png
    53E68333-7D49-4071-A01A-2272998EEFC7.png
    136.3 KB · Views: 13
  • EC39575D-463C-4D47-AB96-2A11D78C8AAF.png
    EC39575D-463C-4D47-AB96-2A11D78C8AAF.png
    148.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 69FE9515-240D-4706-81DF-BC997A630185.png
    69FE9515-240D-4706-81DF-BC997A630185.png
    84.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 407BDD06-2283-46B9-82F3-3581DD37A1AE.png
    407BDD06-2283-46B9-82F3-3581DD37A1AE.png
    109.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 34748534-B9F5-473E-97D0-287AB58D7F01.png
    34748534-B9F5-473E-97D0-287AB58D7F01.png
    130.7 KB · Views: 10

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello Frankie and :welcome:forum.

The Marin looks okay and in good condition. If you can try it to see if the gears are selecting and not slipping and check the wheels are true, tyres are not perished (it's quite an old bike) and a few other points, then you should be okay.
The other important thing is it the right size for you? What is the frame size and how tall and you? Looks like a largish frame.
Prices of bikes, even used, have rocketed since the pandemic but there are bargains still to be found if you look carefully.
Mountain bikes usually have fixing points for a rack and probably for a child seat too.
It won't be a ball of fire on the road because of the big tyres and weight but will be a comfy dependable ride.

Good luck

Is the transmission worn? Price in any replacement parts needed, chain, rear sprockets, chainrings, brake blocks, cables as needed. Suggest for utility you add full length mudguards.

OP
OP
F

frankie d

Regular
Hello Frankie and :welcome:forum.

The Marin looks okay and in good condition. If you can try it to see if the gears are selecting and not slipping and check the wheels are true, tyres are not perished (it's quite an old bike) and a few other points, then you should be okay.
The other important thing is it the right size for you? What is the frame size and how tall and you? Looks like a largish frame.
Prices of bikes, even used, have rocketed since the pandemic but there are bargains still to be found if you look carefully.
Mountain bikes usually have fixing points for a rack and probably for a child seat too.
It won't be a ball of fire on the road because of the big tyres and weight but will be a comfy dependable ride.

Good luck
Is the transmission worn? Price in any replacement parts needed, chain, rear sprockets, chainrings, brake blocks, cables as needed. Suggest for utility you add full length mudguards.
when you say the transmission, do you mean the gear changers?

I have emailed the man in question, asking the questions prompted. Carla is 5 foot 6/7"

I am also looking for a bike myself, but I will be going with the mrs and my friends who are now meeting every couple of weeks or so, which I know these guys we will be neck deep in it like we always are all sports we get back involved. I want can spend a bit more money for obvious reasons, I am 5 8" and am bidding on this. Will this do the job for the first 6-12 months and any guidance as to what I should bid up to on this bike it is currently at £165 with 5 hours to go?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324522395974?ul_noapp=true

Thanks again Frank

Shifters are generally OK but the chain, sprockets and chainrings all wear down. If the teeth have a sharks fin profile they are past worn out. Otherwise the chain may need routine replacement.

gom

Über Member
If you do get it - and will be riding only on roads - I say change the tyres. My experience is that knobbly ones as shown grip less well - less rubber in contact with the road. And they probably don't want high pressure. A well-inflated road or hybrid pair will give a much easier ride.

vickster

Legendary Member
If it’s just for gentle road riding, avoid suspension forks, they are heavy, bouncy and can need servicing.
Look for a bike with a rigid fork and road going tyres.
As above it may be a false economy buying a cheap bike if parts are worn out. Maybe pay more for a well maintained bike with good parts (save time and money in long run)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Rockhopper looks okay and should be about right size wise for you. Going to be sluggish on the road compared to a hybrid or road bike. Tyres not too knobbly, better for road.

Xipe Totec

Frrrg rrrrf yrrrr crrrnds
To be honest the Marin looks far too big for somebody of 5'6". I'm also a little wary of ads that show the left side only of a bike - all the stuff that tends to get wrecked if you crash is on the other side.

The Specialized, if you look closely, is pretty beat-up and seems to have a number of replaced parts - including the front wheel & mechanical disc caliper replacing its original v-brake. So it's had lots of use & might have significant wear to the sprockets, chainrings & chain - could be expensive to replace, particularly if you don't have the tools/skills to do the work yourself. It's also a fairly big frame - my old Revolution MTB was a 19" and I'm 6'1".

If you're going to be riding on the road, a mountain bike with knobbly tyres & suspension's not really the best choice - front suspension's heavy and doesn't really contribute to comfort, knobbly tyres are sluggish and can be dangerously slippery on wet tarmac, and you may not need the ultra-low gearing. I'd be inclined to look at flat-bar road bikes, or more road-oriented hybrids.

OP
OP
F

frankie d

Regular
Screenshot_2021-03-25-10-24-02-243_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

when you say the transmission, do you mean the gear changers?

I have emailed the man in question, asking the questions prompted. Carla is 5 foot 6/7"

I am also looking for a bike myself, but I will be going with the mrs and my friends who are now meeting every couple of weeks or so, which I know these guys we will be neck deep in it like we always are all sports we get back involved. I want can spend a bit more money for obvious reasons, I am 5 8" and am bidding on this. Will this do the job for the first 6-12 months and any guidance as to what I should bid up to on this bike it is currently at £165 with 5 hours to go?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324522395974?ul_noapp=true

Thanks again Frank

OP
OP
F

frankie d

Regular
The Rockhopper looks okay and should be about right size wise for you. Going to be sluggish on the road compared to a hybrid or road bike. Tyres not too knobbly, better for road.
y
Thanks guys, yes the marin was a to big for Carla. Thanks for the feed back on the rockhopper, blinkin norah you have a keen eye for detail. I suppose when you know you know and I don't ha ha.

I am looking for an offroad bike, it will not really have much road use at all, I have my brother in law road bike to use for now if road riding.

If you were looking at this realistically, where I haven't got on a bike in in 20 years, want to make sure I am going to really enjoy it again, am I looking at around the right budget of circa £200?

Thanks so much for all of your help gents you have been great

Frank

Top Bottom