Need help on new purchase ASAP please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hurricane501

I have around £300 for a new bike and have just reserved - https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...e-mens-mountain-bike-black-16-18-20-22-frames

i will only be using this to pedal around with my son, just got him a bike for christmas, so nothing extreme, mostly on a cycle path and a little bit off road, will it last or is it dog crap? i have no clue about bikes...

Cheers!

Hmm i just got an email, about my post and this is in the wrong area! can a mod please move it when you see this? Thanks and sorry, i jumped the gun.

Mod Note:
Done, welcome to CC :welcome:

Last edited by a moderator:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Welcome @hurricane501
Can't say too much about your choice but as long as it's assembled and set up correctly then it should just require regular maintenance and servicing to keep it going . If you have a Decathlon near by then check there offerings as well .
The only thing i would say is do you need suspension ? As lower end bike's with suspension are normally a bit on the heavy side .
If you don't need suspension then what about this offering https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...yphon-limited-edition-mens-flat-bar-road-bike or if it was me i would be looking at local lightly used 2nd hand bikes for some great bargains .
Where are you based ?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
:welcome:

To echo @biggs682's comment about suspension their other Carrera's and Boardman's are just fine. Avoid Apollo (cheap junk). I've ridden a Carrera road bike as a winter bike before, my son has one of their Crixus 'cross bikes as his winter commuter and my eldest son has a basic Carrera Subway to pop around Lincoln on errands.

What type of bike has he got? That'd be a starting point.

Drago

Legendary Member
Not a flash machine, but they've a rep as a decent, useful, workmanlike tool. The fork is the biggest limitation, particularly if you're a big heavy lad, but you can lock it out on road and the fork track well enough off road to make minor obridleway and tow path excursions comfy enough.

By chance you didnt do bad at all. One work of caution - Halford workmanship ranges from OK to cringeworthy, so check it's set up properly and works as it should.

With a basic level of maintenance it should last well.

12boy

Guru
All bikes come with an amzing ait suspension that can easily be adjusted to meet comfort and traction needs. They are called tires. Seriously, unless you are riding on some pretty gnarly surfaces a non_suspended bike is fine. You can save weight and money, or get a slightly higher component set-up because the manufacturer didn't have to include the more expensive suspension fork. A nonsuspension forks needs 0 maintenance other than the headset which all bikes require.

Salar

A fish out of water
As others and @12boy have said, do you really need suspension, if it's an MTB you are looking to buy consider a fully rigid bike.

Probably more older ones around secondhand and fit some decent tyres, get rid of the big chunky tyres and fit something like Michelin Country Rocks or similar.

Top Bottom