Need help with my handlebars please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ridelover9941

So I've been very very aggervated for the past 4-5 hours trying to get my damn handlebars on my 1970's Fuji S12-S LTD to lock back down and turn with the front wheel. I loosened them just to raise them up a little bit because I feel they're too low. Now they won't lock back down (or tighten I should say). The handlebars don't say anything but they do fit inside the nut on the frame. They're vintage quill road bike handlebars. Need tips to lock them back down. Thanks!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Did you unscrew the bolt from the wedge at the bottom,

Quill_stems.jpg

If so you need to either remove the stem or lower it back down to re-engage the bolt at the bottom as that is the clamping mechanism. I've come across a few people who think you need to fiddle with the headset nut but all that does is adjust the bearing.

alicat

Legendary Member
Scroll down to 'Adjusting your stem height' in this Sheldon Brown link and it should help.

The shorter answer is that the bolt to adjust is the allen key bolt at the top of the quill stem. If you are adjusting the correct bolt then you may have raised the stem too much so that the expander bolt inside doesn't engage.

OP
OP
R

ridelover9941

I got it back together and back right, thanks to y'all! What happened was that triangle looking piece that goes on the bottom of the rod looking piece that slides down the hole of the handlebars dropped in the head tube and I had to flip my bike upside down and retrieve it. It's back to normal now, thank god.... That was a nightmare.

inuke

Regular
Get some rough sand paper, and fit it inside the handlebars locks!
Cut it nice and neat after and it wont even be seen.

Top Bottom