Need help with Tyre/Inner tube size pls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ump001

Hi,

i'm new to cycling, i have a second bike and it needs new tyres. Ordered some online however they don't seem to fit :sad:

Below is what the old tyres say:
700x35 - 28 x 1 5/8 x 1 3/8

So i went with the first measurement 700x35c, however the tyres i ordered seem a little too big, see attachment. When i bought the tyre online it only showed me 700x35c, no other details.

Any ideas what the correct tyre size is that i need. I also need some inner tubes.
Will probably buy from Wiggle as its easier to returns things, if you could send me a link from here that would be very helpful.

Many Thanks!

Attachments

• tyre.jpg
    tyre.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 10

boydj

Legendary Member
In what way are the new tyre 'too big'? They would seem to be the correct size. You need 700 inner tubes where the width has a range that includes 35mm, e.g. 32c - 45c.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Those tyres are the same size as your current tyres 622-35. (sometimes 622 are described as 700 (long story) - they are the same.) You need to know whether you need Schrader or Presta valves - go and look at your current tubes. Schrader are like car tyre valves. Presta are pointy and lower calibre. If no tubes, measure the diameter of the valve hole in the rim and report back. Tubes come with the same measurement system but have a range, for example 700 x 28-37 Tour 28
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-quality-road-inner-tube/?
(The "40mm" refers to the valve length, which is not an issue.)

OP
OP
U

ump001

Hi, thanks for getting back to me...
I've tried one of my old inner tubes in the new tyre. When pumped one end of the new tyre doesnt sit flush on the rim and the inner tube is closer to the edge of the tyre touching the rim and not inside the tyre. I thought i must have the wrong tyres.

OP
OP
U

ump001

Those tyres are the same size as your current tyres 622-35. (sometimes 622 are described as 700 (long story) - they are the same.) You need to know whether you need Schrader or Presta valves - go and look at your current tubes. Schrader are like car tyre valves. Presta are pointy and lower calibre. If no tubes, measure the diameter of the valve hole in the rim and report back. Tubes come with the same measurement system but have a range, for example 700 x 28-37 Tour 28
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-quality-road-inner-tube/?
(The "40mm" refers to the valve length, which is not an issue.)

i definitely have the right valve, they are Presta.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The Land Cruiser is basically a semi-knobbly MTB tyre, so they are quite chunky. I find them excellent in 26" ISO 559 format and rate them highly for dirt track & gravel rides. You appear to have ordered compatible tyres by rim size, any issues with fitting will be down to physical frame clearance not that they were ordered wrong.

OP
OP
U

ump001

The Land Cruiser is basically a semi-knobbly MTB tyre, so they are quite chunky. I find them excellent in 26" ISO 559 format and rate them highly for dirt track & gravel rides. You appear to have ordered compatible tyres by rim size, any issues with fitting will be down to physical frame clearance not that they were ordered wrong.

Ok that makes a bit more sense as they are chunkier. But just so i don't order another incorrect pair of tyres. Do you know which i should be getting. If you could send me a link of Wiggle and i will take as an example.

Many thanks!

Ajax Bay

Guru
i have a second bike and it needs new tyres.
To answer your request for a recommendation, we need to know what sort of riding/trips you pan to use this bike for, in particular what variety of surfaces eg road, towpath, gravel, farm track, forest dirt road. Might help to hear what make/model the old tyres are/were.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Right, let's start at the beginning. What sort of bike is it, what sort of surfaces do you want to ride it on, and what make of tyres are you replacing?

OP
OP
U

ump001

Hi, its an old Giant CRS as far as i can tell from the marking. Hybrid i think.
Mainly would like to ride on the road/parks. But would also like to be able jump on/off pavements without damaging anything.

I'm replacing ones mentioned above 700x35 - 28 x 1 5/8 x 1 3/8 - I can see the name Kenda Khan also on the tyre.

Cheers!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'd go for Delta Cruiser or Marathon in preference, if doing the majority of mileage on road or hard pack dirt/gravel, as they roll better. The Land Cruisers are a better tyre for softer and looser surfaces where the more road-oriented tyres struggle for traction.

OP
OP
U

ump001

Ok so i've re-checked the tyre and new inner tube. The tyre is ok, i think the issue is the inner tube, which on box says: 700c 28 - 37c 40mm V
Once pumped, i can still feel gaps around the tyre, like the inner tube isn't sitting in the tyre itself in an certain area for example.

I did another test with old inner which oddly also says 28c on there, but seems ok after i push the tyre around whilst pumping it.

Would i larger inner tube help?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
That inner tube is perfect for a 35mm tyre 👍
You‘re not pumping the tube up other than a teeny bit before fitting the tyre are you? and not before putting back on the bike? :scratch:

OP
OP
U

ump001

That inner tube is perfect for a 35mm tyre 👍
You‘re not pumping the tube up other than a teeny bit before fitting the tyre are you? and not before putting back on the bike? :scratch:

that's right, i pump it a little then place the tube in the tyre, it stays out a little to be honest, then fit the tyre on the rim. Once the tube is pumped it seems like its tight around the rim rather than the tyre.

Last edited:
Top Bottom