Need lubricant, will Purple Grease do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kookas

Über Member
So i've just spent the past day fitting a new chainring, cassette and chain - the chain was an absolute bloody bastard to do, especially not helped by the fact that chain tools appear to be made of soft rubber and bend at the slightest hint of pressure. I've vowed that when the bike needs its next chain, I'm just going to get it done at an LBS. That sort of stress is unhealthy.

Anyway, so it looks like there's no real lubricant in the house and all the bike shops are shut (save for Halfords) - will this "Seriously Purple Grease" stuff do or should I get a whole crapload of money out and go to Halfords to buy some Bikehut tat? It looks a bit viscous, like it's more for wheel bearings and the like.

Alternatively, I have the option of riding it sans-oil, with only WD40 as a lubricant and absolutely nothing else, about 3 miles to somewhere where I have some proper oil (the aforementioned Bikehut tat).

or should I get a whole crapload of money out and go to Halfords to buy some Bikehut tat?

Why would you consider buying anything you yourself consider to be tat? Granted bike lube is expensive IMO, that's why I use chainsaw oil.

Got a B&Q near you, they'll be open ;)

FYI - WD-40 is not a lubricant, and consider this, chains are pre-oiled anyway, so I'd just ride it and get some or whatever, whenever you can :thumbsup:

PS: a decent chain tool is worth it's weight in gold, cheap ones are simply $hite. Also, if you fit a decent chain like KMC and'or Sram then you don't even need a tool to fit them as they use a split link.

OP
OP
Kookas

Kookas

Über Member
Why would you consider buying anything you yourself consider to be tat? Granted bike lube is expensive IMO, that's why I use chainsaw oil.

Got a B&Q near you, they'll be open ;)

FYI - WD-40 is not a lubricant, and consider this, chains are pre-oiled anyway, so I'd just ride it and get some or whatever, whenever you can :thumbsup:

PS: a decent chain tool is worth it's weight in gold, cheap ones are simply $hite. Also, if you fit a decent chain like KMC and'or Sram then you don't even need a tool to fit them as they use a split link.

Chain tool was more tat. Had to grab it from Halfords since I needed it for today, unfortunately. Would've been amazing if I'd thought to buy a chain with a quick link from the start, though - if it turns out that I've royally buggered this one and it snaps as I'm riding out to grab the oil, I'll give that a look-in. On that note, I had to reconstruct links with the tool when I ran out of spare ones and ended up with a load of free pins and walls. I'm concerned a pin might fall out now.

Gary E

Veteran
So i've just spent the past day fitting a new chainring, cassette and chain

Christ, you sure you don't work for Halfords?? :laugh:

Riding it without oil won't hurt it in the short term, as Smokeysmoo says, as long as it was a new chain it will be pre-lubed anyway. If you're really worried put the purple gunk on for now and clean it off and mickle it when you get some good stuff.

Gary E

Veteran
It's not something you really want to get wrong TBH (padded shorts only help so much when your nads hit the crossbar! :shy:).

If in doubt get it to you LBS (although I'd suggest not Hellfrauds) and get it checked out. If the shop is any good at all they'll be happy to show you how to do it.

It may be that your chain tool just wasn't up to the job, always buy quality tools if you can then you'll only have to buy them once (obviously if it was a quality tool it must have just been you :laugh:).

Remember you can always fit a missing link now so that you can take your chain off easily in future (it just takes the place of a normal link).

Although I always carry a chain tool with me on rides I also carry 5-6 links of chain and a couple of missing links just in case.

Get the LBS to show you how it all works and explain how to lubricate properly.

Remember one golden rule about bike (or any other form of) maintenance - It's only easy if you know how it works :smile:

Goldcoast

I hope it's not a 10 speed chain. If it is bin it now and buy another.

10 speed chain pins should never be re-used. There are specific joining PINS you can use, or the best option is a MISSING LINK

would a 9 speed missing link be ok to use with a 10 speed chain? I quickly popped into halfords last Saturday wanting something just in case, as I was doing L2B on Sunday and was told a 9 speed would be fine

HERE's the 8 speed link you might want to get.

Gary E

Veteran
8 speed missing links have a pin length of 7.1 or 7.3mm (depending on type of chain/cassette) but you can usually get away with interchanging them.

9 speed have a pin length of 6.6mm.

would a 9 speed missing link be ok to use with a 10 speed chain? I quickly popped into halfords last Saturday wanting something just in case, as I was doing L2B on Sunday and was told a 9 speed would be fine

I don't honestly know GC as I've never had the need to try.

A quick Google and what do you know, AASHTA.

In a nutshell, and to paraphrase the great man, "not ideal but workable" :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Kookas

Kookas

Über Member
I stress tested my reconstructed chain with a standing start in fairly high gear, and it did indeed snap :sad: can't say it came as a surprise, though - I'll just have to take it down to an LBS tomorrow and stick a new chain on there.

I might be able to salvage the "old" new chain with a missing link, but I can't remember how long it was supposed to be and I need to have the bike for the commute come Tuesday morning so whatever the case I'll be taking it down to the bike shop.

Spent far too much time and money already on something that I'm pretty sure is supposed to be trivial maintenance, but hopefully now I know what's actually going on I'll be more efficient next time.

oldroadman

Veteran
Park Tool stuff the answer, high quality, plus knowing what you are doing. You might be able to salvage the chain is a proper LBS has a few links of the same make and specification. It was a decent make chain, was it, not some tat from you know who that begins with H?

OP
OP
Kookas

Kookas

Über Member
Park Tool stuff the answer, high quality, plus knowing what you are doing. You might be able to salvage the chain is a proper LBS has a few links of the same make and specification. It was a decent make chain, was it, not some tat from you know who that begins with H?

Not sure I'm qualified to say it's a decent chain, it was a Shimano 8 speed for about £12. Had good reviews.

Top Bottom