RESOLVED - THANK YOU - Need some advice about a road near Cregennan Lakes (south of Barmouth)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Is there anyone local to the Barmouth area that can advise on access to the following road?
I want to go up from Arthog past Cregennan Lakes then turn left. But Komoot says this road is closed to bikes and I have to walk (highlighted white section).
1685433174990.png

RWGPS doesn't highlight any issues and Google street view shows a "Road Closed" sign propped up against the wall
1685433111570.png

It's the midpoint of my ride and so I don't really want to get stuck there.

Thanks

steverob

Guru
I'm guessing Komoot is taking its road access rules from OpenStreetMap, because on there someone has marked the road access as being "Foot: Yes, Motor Vehicle: Yes, Bicycle: No, Horse: No" (see https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/396445808#map=14/52.7106/-3.9544). This despite that section of road also being marked as part of NCN Route 82. Presume this was done in error, but I have no local knowledge so can't say for sure.

Also while this in no way speaks to the legality of riding on it, Strava has at least 29 people having cycled down that road in the past month (https://www.strava.com/segments/9253940) and another 68 coming up the other way (https://www.strava.com/segments/8035316), so you wouldn't be the only one.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Never been there, but noticed that the Street View photo you've posted doesn't have a watermark. If I remember correctly, Google started adding watermarks to all their Street View shots about 6 or 7 years ago. So this suggest that this photo is older than that.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The lane up from Kings YH is certainly open to motor vehicles, and it joins your lane. OS shows parking further on at the base of Cader Idris. I've walked across it a few times and not noticed any restrictions.

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

I'm guessing Komoot is taking its road access rules from OpenStreetMap, because on there someone has marked the road access as being "Foot: Yes, Motor Vehicle: Yes, Bicycle: No, Horse: No" (see https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/396445808#map=14/52.7106/-3.9544). This despite that section of road also being marked as part of NCN Route 82. Presume this was done in error, but I have no local knowledge so can't say for sure.

Also while this in no way speaks to the legality of riding on it, Strava has at least 29 people having cycled down that road in the past month (https://www.strava.com/segments/9253940) and another 68 coming up the other way (https://www.strava.com/segments/8035316), so you wouldn't be the only one.

Thank you for doing the research

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Never been there, but noticed that the Street View photo you've posted doesn't have a watermark. If I remember correctly, Google started adding watermarks to all their Street View shots about 6 or 7 years ago. So this suggest that this photo is older than that.

Street view was in RWGPS link, so may be out of date

I cycled the Eastern section 10 days ago (as far as the YHA access that Ian mentions). No closure signs.
Rode the rest of it last summer. There are gates along there at the coasty end, but definitely open to vehicles. Gorgeous road, cracking views!

Also note - don't pick the wrong road up from Arthog. The one I think I've been sent up - TINAT Audax - it's unrideable by mortals! Just crazy steep on the lower sections. Looks like yours is a more hairpinny windy option :smile:

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

I cycled the Eastern section 10 days ago (as far as the YHA access that Ian mentions). No closure signs.
Rode the rest of it last summer. There are gates along there at the coasty end, but definitely open to vehicles. Gorgeous road, cracking views!

Also note - don't pick the wrong road up from Arthog. The one I think I've been sent up - TINAT Audax - it's unrideable by mortals! Just crazy steep on the lower sections. Looks like yours is a more hairpinny windy option :smile:

My friend has been trying to sandbag me up the western way up. 😁 May have to try it another time. Thanks for the info

This fell race got in my way a bit. Might have caused someone to flag the road as closed:
https://www.cader-race.co.uk/

gavgav

Guru
@gavgav is not local but has a holiday home in the area I've tagged him in so he should get a notification and may be able to help

Hi there. I rode up from Dolgellau and took the lane with hairpins down to the main road, in early April, but haven’t ridden it since. I’ve never found it closed, but that’s not to say some roadworks haven’t sprung up in the meantime…However, I’m up there next week and am likely to do the ride on one of the days and so I can give you an update then.

It’s a big climb up the hairpins, I’ve only braved going down it yet, but I’m sure it’s doable and have seen people riding up….looking a bit red in the face!!

Not sure when you’re planning your trip, but something to keep in mind is that Barmouth bridge, across the estuary, will be closed from 2nd September, for a good proportion of the winter, to continue the ongoing work on restoring the bridge, so the only route across would be via Penmaenpool bridge and the busy A roads either side.

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Hi there. I rode up from Dolgellau and took the lane with hairpins down to the main road, in early April, but haven’t ridden it since. I’ve never found it closed, but that’s not to say some roadworks haven’t sprung up in the meantime…However, I’m up there next week and am likely to do the ride on one of the days and so I can give you an update then.

It’s a big climb up the hairpins, I’ve only braved going down it yet, but I’m sure it’s doable and have seen people riding up….looking a bit red in the face!!

Not sure when you’re planning your trip, but something to keep in mind is that Barmouth bridge, across the estuary, will be closed from 2nd September, for a good proportion of the winter, to continue the ongoing work on restoring the bridge, so the only route across would be via Penmaenpool bridge and the busy A roads either side.

Thank you very much for the local intelligence. Very much appreciated. The climb up to the hairpins is in Simon Warren's Greatest Cycling Climbs of Wales. Which is part of the reason I am having a go at it. Staying on the south side of the river...

gavgav

Guru
Thank you very much for the local intelligence. Very much appreciated. The climb up to the hairpins is in Simon Warren's Greatest Cycling Climbs of Wales. Which is part of the reason I am having a go at it. Staying on the south side of the river...

One of these days I will pluck up the courage to attempt it from the Arthog side…who knows it may even be next week, if I’ve had enough Purple Moose the evening before to feed some courage 🤣

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

One of these days I will pluck up the courage to attempt it from the Arthog side…who knows it may even be next week, if I’ve had enough Purple Moose the evening before to feed some courage 🤣

I'm planning to have a go on Sunday 11th June

Top Bottom