Need some advice - frame finish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cycle zombie

I looked at the R838, but got a Bianchi instead on a deal. My Sempre Pro is a lot racier than my Defy and I worried before too.

It all comes down to the fit. If it's set up right, then you will be surprised at how comfortable it can be. Well worth getting a bike fit done.

It also depends on your flexibility too, obviously. The only issue I have had with mine is the saddle. Mine is too wide, which is strange on a racier bike, but easily swapped and ready for a test ride today. :smile:

Thanks for the reply. I am not the most flexible person but never have been however the bike I currently ride is a Merida 903-18 (2010). The geometry is quite race like, has a longer top tube than the De Rosa, but only slightly longer head tube. Seat angle is the same. I have ventured into a carbon before and bought a Felt F5 which I have now sold. Whilst it was a great stiff bike and a joy to ride after around 30 miles I did start to get back ache. I was poorly advised with the bike and it had an aggressive geometry (same as the F1) more so than the De Rosa. The Ribble is also on my list but I have actually seen the De Rosa and look/spec wise I am happy with it but I have not seen the Ribble.

Like all of us I am not getting any younger

I would be getting a bike fit. I live fairly close to Adrian Timmis who owns a bike shop and he has an excellent reputation for doing quality bike fits.

bpsmith

Veteran
Thanks for the reply. I am not the most flexible person but never have been however the bike I currently ride is a Merida 903-18 (2010). The geometry is quite race like, has a longer top tube than the De Rosa, but only slightly longer head tube. Seat angle is the same. I have ventured into a carbon before and bought a Felt F5 which I have now sold. Whilst it was a great stiff bike and a joy to ride after around 30 miles I did start to get back ache. I was poorly advised with the bike and it had an aggressive geometry (same as the F1) more so than the De Rosa. The Ribble is also on my list but I have actually seen the De Rosa and look/spec wise I am happy with it but I have not seen the Ribble.

Like all of us I am not getting any younger

I would be getting a bike fit. I live fairly close to Adrian Timmis who owns a bike shop and he has an excellent reputation for doing quality bike fits.
Similar to me then, when comparing my Defy 1 with the Sempre Pro. The good thing with mine was that there are a couple of spacers under the stem and about 3 or 4 smaller ones on top of it, so plenty of scope to make it more or less aggressive. Have a look at the DeRosa pics and see if it's the same. I was having back and neck pain recently, after a motorbike accident, and raising the stem 1 small spacer, around 1cm or so, has resolved it completely. Will drop it down when I am feeling better.

cycle zombie

Similar to me then, when comparing my Defy 1 with the Sempre Pro. The good thing with mine was that there are a couple of spacers under the stem and about 3 or 4 smaller ones on top of it, so plenty of scope to make it more or less aggressive. Have a look at the DeRosa pics and see if it's the same. I was having back and neck pain recently, after a motorbike accident, and raising the stem 1 small spacer, around 1cm or so, has resolved it completely. Will drop it down when I am feeling better.

I took the plunge and purchased. My initial impressions are wow, as expected excellent finishing to the frame, cannot see any imperfections and the colour is great. Components are really excellent. Not as aggressive as the Felt F5 I had but is close to my Merida. Not as many spacers as your Sempre but I should be ok.

Cyclist33

That's why Matt black bikes are to be avoided :whistle: that said Matt White marks too! I'd talk to the lbs if ut doesn't improve with a gentle wipe with a lint free cloth

But that's internal resins not external stains.

All bikes will get marks. It's a fact of life. I personally don't like that random marbled effect from having unpainted carbon but I doubt it makes any difference to the bike.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think if you pay loads of money for a Carbon bike you dont want a Stealth bike. You want something with loads of bling which shouts " Look at all the dosh I spent"

But then buy a big chain and padlock.

This is what Jannie wants me to buy.

20141208_154250_zps2vmtajsg.jpg

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I think if you pay loads of money for a Carbon bike you dont want a Stealth bike. You want something with loads of bling which shouts " Look at all the dosh I spent"
...... but if the frame is covered with a thick layer of glossy paint it could be made from anything - and think of the weight of all that colour :wacko: (think you should buy it anyway :thumbsup:!)

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
...... but if the frame is covered with a thick layer of glossy paint it could be made from anything - and think of the weight of all that colour :wacko: (think you should buy it anyway :thumbsup:!)

When you see the fat bugger riding it, a lick of paint is here nor there

Top Bottom