Need some advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Yorkshiremandie said:
Lots of progress since I bought my first bike last year.

I bought a 2nd bike with road tyres and 24 gears (in heaven!!!):wacko: and have been on roads numerous time with friends. I did a 46 mile training ride last week with my sister. The 72 charity ride is in 2 weeks!! A bit nervous but looking forward to it.xx(

My fitness has greatly improved, lost a few stone and inches (still quite a lot to lose yet), seen some lovely things (wildlife and sites), met some lovely people, great challenge, getting out and about with friends and family, having fun and loving it!!!!

Thanks for your support

Thank you for a lovely feel-good post. Fantastic seeing the change from the first post. We often talk about the cycling itself, but don't mention the sights, smells (sometimes!) and companionship on a social ride. Thanks again, for reminding us of this.

OP
OP
Y

Yorkshiremandie

Alan Whicker said:
Well done! Have you done the classic ride to Bolton Abbey? I envy you all that countryside to play in. I grew up in Keighley but now I only get to ride round London's horrid roads.

Yes I have a friend who lives in Ilkley so we did Ilkley to Bolton Abbey (return) and also Ilkley to Otley (return). She was a great help showing me how to use the gears correctly and how to tackle the hills - A lifesaver to me!xx(

Highlights - watching an owl hunting (Withernsea), sampling the cakes in the various tea rooms, stunning scenery, nice sun tan, duckings, lambs, calfs, blossom and social network when you are out and about (did I mention cakes?)
Lowlights - falling off and hurting shoulder because of a dog running in front of me

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Yorkshiremandie said:
I bought a 2nd bike with road tyres and 24 gears
Great decision.

I have a Claud Butler mountain bike (2009 model) with lockable front suspension and its great off road and on canal paths, but I absolutely loath it on the road. My road bike which is a 1997 Carlton is so much easier and faster on the roads than my mountain bike. I even tried my son's mountain bike with road tyres and my 32 year old Carton is still so much better, so I can imagine how much more enjoyable your 'state of the art' road bike is.

navrat_biker

if you want help in losing some of your weight i can certainly help you. I help alot of people train and loose weight with diet & biking/excercise. drop me a PM if you want or email me. (see my profile for info) will help you drop that weight stage by stage.

OP
OP
Y

Yorkshiremandie

GYBR

I didn't quite make it to the end. Managed about 66 miles before the hills and the heat finished me off. I was starting losing concentration and would of probably had an accident if I had carried on (have a few bruises on legs from missing gears/pedals). Still an amazing achievement for me and hoping to try again next year. I will be more prepared next time.

My sister and friends managed to finish.

The GYBR is so well organised and supported all the way. I would recommend to anyone.

Top Bottom