Need some advice please :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NaapjusuN

Hello! I am sort of new to cycling and in need of a good advice. I am thinking of buying a bike but I have very limited budget, so I looked around at the cheapest bikes and found Raleigh 100. It goes for £339.99 on eBay, the RRP for it is £499.

Do you think I should go ahead and buy it or do you know a better bike for the value? Also, if I buy the Raleigh 100, which frame size should I pick, it has 51cm, 55cm and 59cm, I am about 178cm tall.

The Raleigh 100 specs are as fallows :

Frame Material: AIRLite - Aluminium
Colour: Blue and Yellow
Weight:
10.2kg
Frame Sizes:
51cm, 55cm, 59cm
Gearset: SHIMANO 2300 gear set with FSA TEMPO Compact chain-set 50 /34T and 12-25T cassette. Crank lengths: - 47 = 165mm, 51cm = 170mm, 55cm = 172.5mm,59cm = 175mm
Brakeset: Tektro R310 short-reach calipers
Wheelset: Rigida Nova rims on Formula hubs fitted with Michelin Dynamic 25mm tyres Controls: Zoom semi compact alloy handle bar on Zoom alloy stem with White EVA bar tape. Bar widths: - 47cm = 400mm, 51cm = 420mm, 55/59cm = 440mm
Finishing Kit:
San Marco Ischia saddle
Frameset: Airlite AL6061 semi-compact frame with Mudguard clearance
Forkset: EVO Carbon fork with Alloy steerer. 45MM rake, Mdgd clearance & eyelet

Globalti

Legendary Member
That looks like an excellent entry-level bike for the lolly, especially as it has a carbon fork. I would ask Rutland Cycling what frame size they recommend.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
As GlobalTi says it's not bad for the buck. But, it might be worth pointing out that it's only got two rings upfront (50/34T), which if your new to cycling, might be challenging in hilly areas.

OP
OP
N

NaapjusuN

Hilly areas should not be a problem for me :smile: Well, if it has only two rings, is that sort of bad and people should avoid or only the ones who can't physically take it should avoid it? Also, do you reckon I could do some races with this bike? Or is it not legit for that or anything? Really confused about all this stuff :sad:

NaapjusuN said:
Hilly areas should not be a problem for me :smile: Well, if it has only two rings, is that sort of bad and people should avoid or only the ones who can't physically take it should avoid it? Also, do you reckon I could do some races with this bike? Or is it not legit for that or anything? Really confused about all this stuff :sad:
Its a compact double (34/50) with a largish cassette on the back (12-25) it'll be fine for hills. If it was a traditional double (a 39/53 or 38/52) then it'd be hard.

If anything IMO compacts are slightly under geared for races but for general use they're fine.

NaapjusuN said:
Well, would it be impossible to race with it then? That I would not like :sad:
No, it wouldn't be impossible to race, you'd just have to work harder downhill but then again it might offer you an advantage up hill (with the low gearing).

For VfM it seems a good spec'd wide geared bike. If you wanted to seriously race you'd have to go for something atleast 4 times as expensive but if you are just wanting to take part I cant see a problem.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
New to cycliing and thinking of racing already?

That's ambitious.

As Hlab says, you might want bigger gears for racing.

OP
OP
N

NaapjusuN

Thanks for the replies! :sad:

Globalti

Legendary Member
You haven't revealed your gender! If you are 178cm tall with an inside leg of 33.5" you must be a female with very long legs! I'm an average sort of bloke and I'm 6' (182cm) tall with a 32" inside leg and I ride a 57cm frame.

If you really are proportioned this way it's even more important that you try the bike and get your position checked by someone experienced before parting with your cash. Seriously! That bike will need some modifications, once you've got the frame size and seat height right because you have a short torso and long legs, while the bike is probably configured for a bloke with longer torso and shorter legs.

NaapjusuN said:
OK, it looks like I will be going for the bike. Could someone advise me on which frame size I should be getting, 55cm or the 59 cm, my inside leg is about 33.5". I know it's a lot to do with the frame, here is a picture of the bike:

http://www.biggerbids.com/members/images/12745/public/1362642_RAL151BL.jpg
I'm a male 5'9", my inseam length is 33" and bike fits have recommended 56cm frames for me. My road bikes are 54 and 55cm. I went to a shop and got a bike fit done and this recent online fit from wrench science agrees.

IME I'd rather have a bike that's spot on but if I had to compromise I go for one that's slightly small, you can always put the saddle up and they feel nimble. A too large bike can place you too far behind the BB and you end up straining muscles and may not be able to adjust the bike enough to avoid this.

Top Bottom