need some help with my garmin gpx file

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sarahpink

okay I hope I explain this corectly, i have a ride that I saved on my garmin edge from a sunday club ride that I went on, I want to repeat the ride but have turn by turn directions.I have managed to convert the file to a gpx file, but im stuck with how I transfer this to my device? i have tried topo fusion but that isn't working, any ideas would be really appreciated.

OP
OP
sarahpink

sarahpink

okay tried on bike route toaster and had this messga
Error: Error calling method on NPObject

zacklaws

Guru
Sarahpink, I presume you have Garmin "Training Center" on your computer, if so:-

Download your ride into it.

Look in the history (in Training Center) for the ride.

Right click on it, and create a course from it.

Go into course's (in Training Center) and find the course that you have just created.

Edit the course and you can put in all your Turns, hills etc wherever you want them.

Once done, just upload to the Garmin

I think you can do it in Bikeroute toaster by loading it with a GPX and it probably will do it automatically and be an easier way, but I have no experience of it as I avoid having instructions on a course as I find it can slow the Edge down updating especcially on very long rides and it becomes easy to miss your tun.

Alternativey create your route from new in Bikeroute toaster and if you hit the right buttons before you upload it will also add the turn instructions

The Edge I use is the 305, so other models may have a faster processor and not have the same problem.

Quickest way...

Plug in, and wait until the edge appears as a drive (may be two if you have a card)

Open the "Garmin" drive, then open the "Garmin" folder.

Now open the "GPX" folder

Drag and drop the file

Sorted!

zacklaws

Guru
Quickest way...

Plug in, and wait until the edge appears as a drive (may be two if you have a card)

I don't think that works with all Edges, I have the 305 and it does not work, after reading about it I tried, but it does not get recognised, I have a feeling it may only work with 500's, 605's and 705's.

OP
OP
sarahpink

sarahpink

Quickest way...

Open the "Garmin" drive, then open the "Garmin" folder.

Now open the "GPX" folder

Drag and drop the file

Sorted!

your a start thankyou thankyou
rolleyes.gif

divingrob

I also have problems,

Ive been emailed a route as a GPX file my operating system for my internet is google chrome, When I try to open the file I am told it doesnt reconise the file type do I want the internet to find me one etc...

Does anyone know where I am going wrong?

zacklaws

Guru
If you download the programme, TCX converter, you can open up GPX files, see them on a map, convert to TCX, transfer to Garmin devices, and do many other wonderfull things etc

http://www.teambikeolympo.it/TCXConverter/TeamBikeOlympo_-_TCX_Converter/TCX_Converter.html

redddraggon

Blondie
Good luck with Turn-by-turn. I find that if you don't position the coursepoints yourself, manually (which takes awhile), it doesn't work that well.

I'd much rather use a .tcx course, and follow the pink line, far more reliable, and far less effort.

I also have problems,

Ive been emailed a route as a GPX file my operating system for my internet is google chrome, When I try to open the file I am told it doesnt reconise the file type do I want the internet to find me one etc...

Does anyone know where I am going wrong?

If you download the programme, TCX converter, you can open up GPX files, see them on a map, convert to TCX, transfer to Garmin devices, and do many other wonderfull things etc

http://www.teambikeo..._Converter.html
If you don't want to download a program you can use GPSies on line to do the same thing. Thankfully Garmin have seen sense in the latest version of Training Centre and files can be exported as .gpx as wel as .tcx :smile:

Top Bottom