Need some opinions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jaguar

12 people give great reviews on it in your link ...

potsy

Rambler
You need to speak to Norm. He is the Spez expert. :thumbsup:
My only concern about the bike is that it doesn't have a compact chainset so you may find steeper hills a struggle.

eH? Surely that is the other way round Mark?

That's the entry level Secteur Fluffy,if you could stretch the budget I'd go for the Sport or even better the Elite.
Nice bikes though,am sure we discovered somewhere that the Base model doesn't have the Zerts inserts yet the spec says it does?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Mark noticed that the bike didn't have a compact chainset, but somehow didn't notice that it has a triple chainset and a nice big climbing sprocket! ;)

Fluffy - If you buy that bike, I think you will find it a big improvement over your mountain bike for road use.

Having said that, I'd be tempted to spend a bit more if you possibly can. I really like the look of this Cannondale for example. The CAAD 8 is 3 generations more advanced than my CAAD 5 and even that was a great design. Mind you, the Cannondale is £739.99 and you'd have to get a 54 cm frame (the 61 cm is way too big for you).

What size bike are you looking for? (If you are not sure - how tall are you and what is your inside leg measurement?)

OP
OP
Simba

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
Mark noticed that the bike didn't have a compact chainset, but somehow didn't notice that it has a triple chainset and a nice big climbing sprocket! ;)

Fluffy - If you buy that bike, I think you will find it a big improvement over your mountain bike for road use.

Having said that, I'd be tempted to spend a bit more if you possibly can. I really like the look of this Cannondale for example. The CAAD 8 is 3 generations more advanced than my CAAD 5 and even that was a great design. Mind you, the Cannondale is £739.99 and you'd have to get a 54 cm frame (the 61 cm is way too big for you).

What size bike are you looking for? (If you are not sure - how tall are you and what is your inside leg measurement?)

I am 5'8 give or take, I am looking at 52/54cm frame, my mtb has a 58cm frame but thats a different type of frame. I will wait and see how much I get and if I win my compo claim before I decide my budge. That Cannondale is very nice, should I get a decent amount I will probably go for that.

potsy

Rambler
I am 5'8 give or take, I am looking at 52/54cm frame, my mtb has a 58cm frame but thats a different type of frame. I will wait and see how much I get and if I win my compo claim before I decide my budge. That Cannondale is very nice, should I get a decent amount I will probably go for that.

You're about the same height as me Fluffy,I ride a 54cm Secteur.
Spoilt for choice at that price bracket,with Spesh's,Cannondales,treks,even Boardmans might be worth a look see.
Only thing is by the time you get your op done and are able to ride again the 2010 models might be a bit harder to find.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Lower gears make steeper hills possible at a lower speed for the same power output.
I had to read that a couple of times before I understood it!

Yes, using lower gears might mean that you can get up steep hills that would otherwise defeat you, but a given power output will not get you up steep hills as quickly as up easy ones.

Another thing - sometimes using lower gears can allow you to develop more power than you'd be able to using higher gears. When I start to get tired, I find that my lumbar back muscles can go into spasm on climbs. When that happens, I can't produce the power that I normally can. Using low gears eases the pain in my back so I can try harder. (The best answer would be to improve my flexibility and core strength so I didn't get the back pain in the first place!)

Top Bottom