Need some reassurance - kit for family cycle touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
As a non-parent, I'm not an expert, but I agree that you will probably know if your kids are ready to share a tent away from you. For peace of mind, you could even take a 'baby monitor' type thing, although I agree that you'll probably hear any noise. Or something on the tent that makes a noise if disturbed, a bell or something?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Our eldest two have slept in a separate tent since they were about 12 and 10 - both girls - they (and maybe me) weren't ready before that. The youngest has just turned 9 and so far has shared with us - I think if I asked him he would prefer to be with us or his sisters than be on his own so far. But I have know other children who are more outgoing/independent to sleep on their own from around 8 ish.

Jugular

Willem has some very good points. To help you with any train and ferry bookings and planning try the man in seat 61:
http://www.seat61.com/

If you'd like to buy your tent and Exped kit in the UK try this shop they seem to be pretty competitive:
http://www.alpenstock.co.uk/tents.php?id=1

Buying a Hilleberg was something I um'ed and ah'ed about but if I could afford one even now I'd buy it in an instant.

The ChairKits appear to be very comfortable you can see a demo video here:
http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_int.nsf

The ChairKit can be left on the mat, it's waterproof and will simply protect the mat itself. I imagine you could still use it with one of those on top sleeping bags too.

What are your plans for the other kit? Cooking? Cycling-wear? Bikes?

One more suggestion. They've gone bust but there's still some stock at retail that I haven't bought up yet :smile::
http://www.orikaso.com/

About leaving your kids in a tent on their own. I'd pitch up right next door and give them a simple lock (that they can undo in the night!) for the inner tent zips.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Jugular said:
About leaving your kids in a tent on their own. I'd pitch up right next door and give them a simple lock (that they can undo in the night!) for the inner tent zips.

I wouldn't lock a tent in case they needed to get out in a big hurry - either a peg or more easily a bell attached to the zip.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Both your children are cub scout age. I'm a cub leader and I have not found it to be too much of a worry leaving them in tents overnight (male or female). I don't know your kids though, and you would be in the best place to know whether you think they would be able to cope.

If you decide to sleep together, I would be surprised if you need a high performance tent for camping in campsites. The Hilleberg is an expedition tent, and I'm sure it would be great, but if you are careful of the weight there are a lot of good 4 berth domes and tunnels around like this one for example.

Dry bags are very useful for the obvious reason, and also for dividing things up and keeping things dry the large size resealable sandwich bags are good (also hold A4 maps nicely).

I'd agree with the 2 season sleeping bag idea as well.

All in all looks like a great trip whichever route you choose, have fun :smile:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
TwoInTow said:
I'm getting more confident about this idea now, and following Andy's comments, I've bought the book on Donaueschingen - Passau, and will probably book Eurostar and City Sleeper tickets to Munich in the next few days for the last week or so of July. I thought about Catherine's comments about hostelling, and I think that would be the right thing if it were just me and my husband. But with the kids, I'm worried that locks us into achieving a certain number of miles per day; and at that time of year, I'm scared that if we don't book we won't get a room. All those things which are an unpleasant change of plan for adults become catastrophes with kids, so I think I'd rather go for the camping option - even if it does seem daunting.

Further to what Willem said: booking to Munich is not particularly efficient because you would then have to go to Ulm and then take the local train to Donaueschingen. You could for instance get from the Hook of Holland to Düsseldorf by train and from there pick up the Eurocity to Karlsruhe and then take a smaller train to Donaueschingen. Bear in mind that ICE trains do not take bikes and that with EC, IC and IRE you either must or should make a bike reservation. You can do all the booking via Die Bahn (German rail) before you leave the UK.

willem

Über Member
As for what quality tent is appropriate I notice a clear cultural divide between Dutch and British campers. The Brits often argue that cheap ones are good enough, while the Dutch have a long tradition of using expensive bomb proof ones. Originally those would be single pole lightweight cotton tents (you can still get them, though only just - and they are great for hotter weather) such as these http://www.tatteljee.nl/tenten.html or this cheaper one http://www.esvocampingshop.com/en/p...htgewicht-baumwolle-zelte-en/eskimo-tent.html In recent years imported lightweight tunnel tents etc have taken over, with Hilleberg a clear favourite among the more ambitious hikers and cycle tourists. In Holland camping in tents is something done mostly by the educated middle classes, and my hunch is that the same applies to Scandinavia. My British friends on the other hand all abhor camping, and think of it as something primitive you only do if you cannot afford a hotel, like when you are young.
Cycle touring with children is not necessarily easy in equipment terms. You need backpacking weight gear, because the kids do not carry anything themselves, and because the kids are in fact themselves "luggage" in many situations. However, nearly all gear is optimized for two rather than four people, and not for the requirements of a family with children. Light family tents are few, and the same applies to pots and stoves, for example. The Primus Etapower range is a good exception: http://www.primus.eu/Templates/Pages/3_cols_white_middle.aspx?SectionId=5888
For light plates and mugs go to your nearest Ikea and get some of their plastic plates and mugs (you may already have them for children's parties). Much lighter and cheaper than any camping specific stuff that is in reality only suitable for caravanning. And I would really suggest to forget about chairs and chairkits. They are outside your weight and volume budget, honestly. Life on the road with kids is a lot more comfortable if you take less. That means less to carry, less to keep organized and less to pack.

Jugular

I believe me and willem are in agreement over the aim. Cut down what you take in weight and volume and you'll have a better and cheaper trip. We just disagree on some of the details in between.

The chairkits are certainly additional weight that you may feel is an unneccesary luxury, only you can decide that. Orikaso plates and bowls are unparalelled in weight and volume savings, are nigh on indestructible and exceptionally easy to clean. I think your budget should decide that one.

Tents, the trip you're planning and I suspect any trips in future will not be in need of a Hilleberg tent, nevertheless the Hilleberg tent would offer peace of mind in that it will cope with nearly anything. Vango, Vaude, MSR, Exped etc. all do more affordable tents that will provide undiscernable differences in their performance in the conditions you intend to camp in. Again, your budget should help you decide.

Good luck with your planning.

willem

Über Member
I can only agree with Jugular: these are minor differences of detail. You do indeed not need Hilleberg for peace of mind. Brands like Vaude, Helsport or MSR (one Mo Room 3 p and a Hubba Hubba HP?) are surely good enough. I would suggest however, to stay away from the very cheap stuff with glassfiber poles, leaky groundsheets and the like. Once upon a time cheap tents were primarily heavier and lacked fancy detail. These days many cheap tents are still pretty light but compromise on reliability.
Willem

Top Bottom