Need to create a battery for my Trailtech light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

brand

... or cycle faster?
I can see a downside to that....the ride home!

sidevalve

Über Member
Go along to your local Maplins [or any electronics store] and have a chat. They have lots of such things and I've always found them pretty helpful with ideas for 'home projects'.

Wobblers

Euthermic
You could probably power your light off three 3.6 V lithium ion batteries. But... you need to know what you're doing. You need to get reasonable quality "protected" 18650 Li-ion cells. These come with a built in protection circuit which should help prevent damage (or worse!) in case of overcharge, over discharge or short circuit. Then you need a good quality charger for them. Don't cheap out on this! A cheap charger will at best dramatically shorten the life of your batteries - or cause them to burst into flames. Xtar have a good reputation for lithium ion battery chargers, and aren't too expensive. You can expect to pay about £50 for batteries, charger and battery holder.

There is a cheaper alternative. Planet X are selling the Smart Lunar 60 for £12. Get two of those, and you'll have plenty of light for the ride home - and more money left over for beer! Best of all, they run on AAs so no need to worry about expensive batteries - especially if you already have rechargeable AAs. Planet X also do a cheaper clone, the Phaart Aeon 3 Watt for £7. It gives plenty of light for an unlit lane - I've done it - but their quality isn't as good as the Smart. If you get a year out of one, you'll be doing well.

I took a small canvas bag, went to maplins and found a battery holder and wired it up to a set of lights I had, I now just strap the bag to the Cross bar, clip the lamps to the handle bars ans away we go.

Top Bottom