need to go from disk to v brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old timer

Über Member
As a temp measure I have had to replace my front wheel that has a disk brake over to another wheel that won`t take a disk.
On the front suspension forks are lugs see image http://www.pbase.com/davechilvers/image/124266776

I thought that it would be just a matter of buying a V type brake mech but now I realise that the fixing screws on off the shelf brakes is smaller than the thread in the image. Someone mentioned to me that I am short of the mounts for the brakes although I have the welded lugs. I`ve had a look around the web but can`t seem to find any info.

The reason for the wheel change is to fit a Electric hub wheel to get me over a tough period( had a mild heart attack two weeks ago) and need a bit of help to get back up and running)

So! anyone that can help please will be taking some of the pressure off.

Thanks

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
Probably a silly question but would it not be possible to fit a conventional side pull brake by mounting it on the U shaped front fork section( the section that joins the two halves of the forks together where my mudguards are fixed to) not sure what it`s called but the drop from the centre fixing hole down to the rim is around 80mm.

Thanks

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
5cybty.jpg

Which bit do you mean? If it's the boss - the bit screwed into the fork on the diagram above, I might have a couple in the shed. If it is, and that'll solve your problem, pm me your address and I'll have a look in the shed tomorrow.

I have a feeling that the bit you're saying has a thread too small is the bit that screws into the boss.

Paul

If you look at the image in my first post you`ll see the boss that is welded to the fork. I would think the thread diam is probably around 3/8" where as the bolts that comes with new brake set ups is much smaller( around 1/4") on seeing that I then spoke to a few people and was told that you don`t mount the brake to the welded lug but have to fit some sort of post that screws into the lug and then becomes the bearing for the lever. All the new brakes I`ve seen on the web don`t come with the screw in boss but just come ready to slip onto the boss but of course I don`t have the boss because this bike came with disks.
Don`t know if that makes sense. I`ll pm you and thanks for coming back and any effort you have to put in.

Dave

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I think you need the parts that screw into the fame "converting" M10 to M6 for V or cantilever brakes (I believe your estimated 3/8" is M10 i.e. 10mm nominal diameter). The part is this but this probably shows a clearer picture and they are 3.327654567 grams lighter :thumbsup:

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
You don't need those parts, you just need standard posts. Unfortunately 'standard' posts come in two thread sizes.

Anyone who converted to disks a few years ago might still have these in their shed. I also think a lot of new forks still come with them, so ask at your LBS and they might have some lying around.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The posts come in three sizes that I know of:

M10 is most common in alu frames
M8 is most common in steel frames
Cannondale (bless 'em) use 5/32" x 18TPI, which is totally unique.

All are M6 internally.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Do you really need brakes on the front wheel? With respect you're hardly going to be racing round and I'd have thought an electric motor on over-run would have a certain braking effect anyway.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
Globalti said:
Do you really need brakes on the front wheel? With respect you're hardly going to be racing round and I'd have thought an electric motor on over-run would have a certain braking effect anyway.

Hardly any braking effect on the motor I have almost zilch.

Well, if I can`t sort it then I will have to ride on just the rear. I`m in the country so not so much a problem. Hopefully it might not be for ever.It would be ironic to have a crash now for lack of braking power:blush:

This is an electric bike with a rear hub motor and now it will have a front hub motor taken from my converted evans MTB and extra battery and controller, it will come into play on hills to take away the pressure. I`m just hoping I can get back out and cycling. They fitted a stent in the artery that supplies the heart muscle where it looks like some of the crud inside the artery( that most of us have by my age) came adrift and almost blocked the flow. Luckily enough got through to just keep things ticking over while I finished a 15 mile ride:ohmy: thinking I had bad indigestion and then later things went from bad to worse and my wife did the 999 that probably saved my life.

e-rider

crappy member
It should be very easy to sort this as a previous post already provided a link to the item that you require at CRC for £3.99

Simply a case of ordering it!

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
Sorry Old Timer, but try as I might the bosses won't budge from my fork.

If I were you I'd follow the link and buy some from CRC.

Thanks for trying Paul, I`ve ordered a pair from HK so they might be OK

Cheers

Dave

Top Bottom