Need to know if I was in the wrong

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
why did you think you needed to get to the ASL?

busses have much bigger front windows that side ones and the driver is sat facing forwards looking out of it when on the move so if one had pulled up behind you whilst the lights were on red so what? Why put yourself at the side of one likely not expecting you to be there rather than staying in front of one that can see you quite readily?

Also Trucks v Bikes is a big issue at the mo and invariably it is the truck portrayed as the bad thing regardless - I've seen vids of cycling manoeuvres tantamount to suicide, ridden past a crash scene with the lad under the truck and read plenty of reports of people doing very similar to you but not being seen and ending up dead - a couple of years ago an Argentinian(?) couple, she died, he lived - his evidence was that they had filtered to the front of a queue, found a truck in the ASL so just pulled alongside it because they 'had nowhere to go'.
With hindsight I'm sure he would think very differently. I'm not a fan of the determination to get to the ASL at all costs.

Maybe the driver had hit a cyclist previously and is very nervous around us or maybe recently had a raft of awareness training and think bike information thrown at him telling him that he's the problem and is a killer in the making, then he sees supposedly the victim making quite an irresponsible move and rightly wonders why he is portrayed as the big bad beast.

glad you lived to tell the tale though.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Best to stay behind until the truck, bus or whatever had gone through the junction. If you have one pull up behind, don't worry, that one will have seen you, just stay in a primary position (middle of your lane) until through the junction which will discourage the one behind from overtaking.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
:welcome: Unknowingcyclist.

I think that the truck driver actually did you a huge favour, even though a horn in your ear at close range can't have been pleasant.
Being anywhere near the inside (or outside, or front, for that matter) of a large vehicle at a junction is a very bad idea. Lots of people die there. Stay behind them.:thumbsup:

avalon

Guru
As well as watching the online videos it's well worth, if you get the chance, climbing into a truck and sitting in the driver's seat just so that you can get an idea of how difficult it is to see any other road user's when they get too close. It's also worth noting, even for car drivers, that if you're behind the truck and can't see its mirrors the driver won't be able to see you and may not be aware that you're there.

OP
OP
U
Yep, learned my lesson everyone. Thanks for the advice and not patronising me.

gbb

Legendary Member
Always two ways (at least) of dealing with a situation, and as Ian says, we all live and learn from our own mistakes...and yes, even experienced cyclists occasionally get it wrong...
ASLs...I have one at TLs, I take a left. Quite often a bus will be in front of me, also turning left at the TLs. I could use the cycle lane on the left and undercut the bus to get to the ASL...but why ?
Pros and cons...
Cons...
I'll pee the bus driver off, he's now going to have to get past me. (probably again)
I will gain virtually nothing.
If the lights change while i'm undercutting him and he hasn't seen me...the dangers obvious.

Pros..
I gained 30 ft....if that's any benefit ?
If I stay behind the bus, I get a draft when we all pull off.
I deliberately let the driver see me hanging back despite there often being enough room and time for me to get past him. I like to think it sits well with the driver and fosters good relations.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I deliberately let the driver see me hanging back despite there often being enough room and time for me to get past him. I like to think it sits well with the driver and fosters good relations.
I do the same, much safer. Often get the thumbs up from driver as well :thumbsup:

Top Bottom