need to replace 6-speed cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chronos86

My rim bent on my bike.I got a new rim.I figured I could just take the old cassette off and put it on the new rim.I looked online how to do it, watched videos, it will not come off.so I figured I just buy a new one. I'm trying figure out exactly what to buy . I need one like this.
iuft4f8.jpg
YtyUDpX.jpg

Attachments

• iuft4f8.jpg
    iuft4f8.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 47
  • YtyUDpX.jpg
    YtyUDpX.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 30

screenman

Legendary Member
You could pop it into a shop and they would take it off for you, just a couple of quid or even a freebie in some places.

robgul

Legendary Member
The lower picture seems to have the lockring tool in place? - you will need a chain-whip to hold the cassette and stop the freehub turning to be able to undo the lockring. A bodge is possible with an old chain wrapped round a cog and holding the end with a rag round it but there is severe risk of grazing your knuckles.

As suggested - for the LBS it's a 30 second job . . . although investing a few quid in a chainwhip would seem worthwhile.

Rob

Tim Hall

The lower picture seems to have the lockring tool in place? - you will need a chain-whip to hold the cassette and stop the freehub turning to be able to undo the lockring. A bodge is possible with an old chain wrapped round a cog and holding the end with a rag round it but there is severe risk of grazing your knuckles.

As suggested - for the LBS it's a 30 second job . . . although investing a few quid in a chainwhip would seem worthwhile.

Rob
No, I'd say the picture shows a freewheel tool, not a cassette lockring tool. The new wheel shows a screw thread, which is what I'd expect for a six speed, as it's a freewheel not a cassette. The OP has discovered one of the downsides of the screw on freewheel, namely they tighten onto the wheel with use and need a lot of grunt to undo them.

rrarider

Veteran
I still ride a bike with a 6 speed freewheel, which I've had for many years. When I want to change the gearing by means of the freewheel, I make use of the skewer for the quick release. Once the freewheel tool is in place, I put the skewer through and make it hand tight, I then back it off just a tiny amount. This makes the freewheel tool (in my case a two prong Suntour version) secure against slipping out when under load. I then hold the tyre of the wheel and undo the freewheel and attached tool by means of a spanner. (It looks like your freewheel tool is the splined sort which is much less likely to slip.)

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The last time I took a freewheel off with a spanner, I arranged the wheel upright against an inside corner of the wall, and stepped up onto the (horizontal) 12" spanner. It didn't shift until I started to bounce, and I was about 85 kg at the time.
A vice is much easier, but it's got to be a proper big, permanently mounted vice, not a clamp-on job.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
As others have already said, the new wheel is threaded for a screw on freewheel rather than a cassette. It's always difficult to tell from photos but 5th and 6th gears on your existing one look more worn than the others to me so I'd suggest simply getting a new one plus a new chain. These are readily available, for example: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/freewheels-6-speed/ and https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chains-5-6-7-8-speed/

From the selection in the above links, Sunrace freewheels are cheaper than Shimano but work as well and last about as long. With chains I've tried a few but keep coming back to KMC ones.

midlife

Guru
As others have already said, the new wheel is threaded for a screw on freewheel rather than a cassette. It's always difficult to tell from photos but 5th and 6th gears on your existing one look more worn than the others to me so I'd suggest simply getting a new one plus a new chain. These are readily available, for example: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/freewheels-6-speed/ and https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chains-5-6-7-8-speed/

From the selection in the above links, Sunrace freewheels are cheaper than Shimano but work as well and last about as long. With chains I've tried a few but keep coming back to KMC ones.

Another vote for Sunrace here........they bought Sturmey Archer's tooling when they closed so started off with some good engineering :smile:

Shaun

Ajax Bay

Guru
Sunrace freewheel (there are many others available eg Shimano). Most are 14-28 tooth. If you want the same as you've got now, count the teeth on the current one. Your old one has done its duty and needs retirement. Saves you the struggle of getting it off the old wheel too.
Chain (you'll need a new one with a new block or it will probably skate: 6-8 speed KMC chain) But maybe you are best to go down to your LBS for the chain (they will have a long roll and can cut it to the right length so will be similar price and you'll not need a chain tool).

Last edited:
Top Bottom