Need to warm up digits, steadily

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'm pulling this across from a 'sticky gears' thread - what's the best way to get warmth and feeling back into digits (ETA: fingers and toes) once indoors at the end of a ride?
I had that today but it was because my fingers were so cold I couldn’t operate the shifters or brakes and even now 6 hours later they have that hot feeling
I can't like that post . I haven't been out in a week due to the weather conditions as I [have] Reynauds so this weather is a no no on top of the obvious safety issues. I have spent times actually close to crying in pain in the shower as feeling returns to extremities.
I'm in a similar boat and the temperature has put me off going out (against my younger nature of 'when the going gets tough, the tough get going'). But my chilblains are complaining.
Rapid warming of pseudo-NFCI (eg by jumping in a shower) ends up with more damage to the tissue.
Caveat: this is all as I understand it (from a frostbitten (ie blisters) and multi frost-nipped and NFCI experience PoV). Maybe a medic CycleChatter can confirm or give (much) better and authoritative advice.
The first search hit offers: "it's helpful to rewarm it gradually because sudden rewarming of cold skin may worsen chilblains."

Last edited:
Stick your hands under your armpits. Or better still stick them under soneone else's armpits - if she'll let you!!!

When you get cold your body pulls heat away from your limbs and towards your core and vital organs in order to survive. To avoid getting pains when rewarming it is important to do it slowly because otherwise the blood rushes away from the organs and doesn’t thank you for it causing the pain as the blood is getting pushed through narrowed blood vessels causing the pain.

no question, in opposing armpits

armpit fingers.jpg

item #5

https://www.wikihow.com/Warm-Your-Hands

Last edited:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Drink some hot water as soon as you arrive at your destination. Two part boiling water and one part cold tap water or even 1:1.

A couple of glasses will warm your core, which will lead to widening of your blood capillaries and an increased blood flow to the extremities.

By the time you gather what you need for the shower, your extremities will be warmed up. No chilblains for me since I started this routine at work.

Any tips for getting your feet into your own armpits? I'm struggling here.
Oops, my bad, didn't address the 2nd part of your question. I'm guessing there's no in home companion under whose armpits you cold have stuck your toes under. not sure Wifey would let me, anyway. here's hoping you found a way to recover, by now

the only reason I knew about the armpit thing is because I made a dumb mistake a few weeks ago & was in trouble, out in my car, after an extended double-ride. got my hands wet & cold, the worst combo. eventually I tried the armpits, both simultaneously. glad I can still do that. at first I tried sitting on them, flexing them, then hand cream, used my heated steering wheel & warm air vents. I had no luke warm water to soak them in. they were painful & unresponsive, had a lot of trouble removing my helmet. but the armpits were the final desperate measure that actually finally seemed to be the best thing to do

the Mayo Clinic has some advice

prevention is better tho, right? ;-)

side note: my fingers warm as I ride, but my toes do not

OP
OP
Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay

Guru
Seriously impressed!!!!:notworthy: I guess if you have this as a party trick you're 'proud of', you maintain that flexibility. Use it or lose it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Seriously impressed!!!!:notworthy: I guess if you have this as a party trick you're 'proud of', you maintain that flexibility. Use it or lose it.
What impressed me once was when talking to a cyclist with various tools spread on the floor. She bent forward to pick one of them up and I commented on how flexible she was - I would have had to stoop down to reach. She then showed off by bending down again and putting the palms of her hands flat on the floor, and I don't think that she even found that difficult! :bravo:

OP
OP
Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay

Guru
Back on topic ;)
This is for cold toes. Cold fingers (and ears) are generally easier to 'manage'.
I'd recommend trying to warm cold extremities slowly rather than in a warm shower. For feet/toes, dry as necessary as put on a warmed (on the radiator) pair of thickish socks and let the room temperature bring them back to +20 degrees, wiggling all the time (to encourage circulation). Then a tepid footbath (at roughly 40) and only then go in the shower. Have the shower on colder than normal just for your feet and filling the tray at first before turning up the dial (or increasing the hot water percentage). Fingers are much easier to warm steadily, indoors.
Rapid warming of very cold toes verging to NFCI (eg by jumping in a shower) ends up with more damage to the tissue.

Top Bottom