Need VERY secure lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Armegatron

Davidc said:
An alarm can help - frightens the s**s witless. I've just started using these. I used to have bike specific ones, bolted on, but they fell apart eventually.

I usually just lock the alarm lock around the chain stay so it can slide around if the bike's moved to try and get the D lock off it. If I'm leaving the bike for some time or in a theft hotspot I carry a safety wire with loops at the ends, which goes through the front wheel and the main triangle then the lock, so it alarms the bike, the front wheel, and the lock itself. It's seriously loud.

I've got one on the garden shed as well.

It was good to see the little toe-rags running away last year - especially when it was someone elses bike they were after when they set the alarm off, and there was blood left on the other bike's frame!

AndyCarolan said:
They look really good... so ive just ordered one :thumbsup: - Got mine through eBay though... looks like the same thing/spec etc.

One on the shed, one for the bike. I usually put it on the front disc as the handlebars are prone to being knocked, and also if they dont see it and try to ride off having got through two other locks they will probably do the bike and themselves some damage. I did a review of the lock a while back...

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJxamDjkdNw

OP
OP
K

karimali831

RecordAceFromNew said:
Another way to address the problem and which works for some is to get a folder, and just take it with you. The weight penalty of a folding bike is certainly less than 3kgs...

Did they find out from the cctv how they breached the lock? In particular did you lock the bike with little or no space within the D (assuming it was a D lock)? If it wasn't a D lock or if there was space that could have been the problem/solution, as opposed to buying an even bigger D lock...

Even the Granite Exteme failed to survive more than 2 minutes in tests.

No idea, the police said they will take a look at the CCTV footage but I still have doubt that they will call me to let me know anything.

I'm not going to "hope" to get it back, I know it's very unlikely. In fact, I looked round some bike stores today with very limited stock of racing bikes, including Halfords. My budget is £500-600 if anyone has any suggestions? I'm around North and East London also.

Both locks are D's and I believe there was some very little room to be able to move the locks from one side to the other.

Davidc

Guru
mike.pembo said:
One on the shed, one for the bike. I usually put it on the front disc as the handlebars are prone to being knocked, and also if they dont see it and try to ride off having got through two other locks they will probably do the bike and themselves some damage. I did a review of the lock a while back...

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJxamDjkdNw

Glad someone else is impressed and uses them.

My only small gripe is that it goes off quickly so the alarm usaually goes off during unlocking. Only really a problem when I want to go out early on a Sunday before the neighbours get up.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
karimali831 said:
No idea, the police said they will take a look at the CCTV footage but I still have doubt that they will call me to let me know anything.

I'm not going to "hope" to get it back, I know it's very unlikely. In fact, I looked round some bike stores today with very limited stock of racing bikes, including Halfords. My budget is £500-600 if anyone has any suggestions? I'm around North and East London also.

Both locks are D's and I believe there was some very little room to be able to move the locks from one side to the other.

It there wasn't enough room within the D to slip in something that is about 2.5" wide, then the likelihood is that (extremely noisy) power tools had to be used. The crime is certainly blatant given you had 2 good D locks. It is not obvious to me what one can do to stop it happening again, right there, with a brand new shiny bike.

Top Bottom