Neglected animals.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Has anyone ever tried to contact the RSPCA to report animals neglected ? I have been trying for two days with no result. It can only be done by phone and I am number 30 plus in the queue every time! Why don't they make it easier to report it if they care so much about animals?
My case is about geese and ducks kept in a small concrete yard with filthy water in the present hot conditions. That is when we were in Devon and the waiting time is just too long to wait. I will try phoning again later on in the day as it may not be so busy.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The RSPCA are just plain rubbish. They really didin't want to know the couple of times we reported a couple of animals.
One an injured cat in the road and a dog running lose in the road.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I tried a year or so ago to report horses chained on the Washlands flood defences and the water level was half way up their legs and rising.

No joy getting though for ages to RSPCA.. Phoned Plod, eventually, and told them.

Is it worth trying PDSA?

matiz

Guru
I had problems with them when working at a house with a badly neglected dog next door a German shepherd with his ribs showing and nowhere to shelter ,the garden was full of scrap metal and corrugated iron sheets.
I rang the RSPCA to ask them to come round they said ok but no one came I rang them the next day still no visit and when I arrived the next day he had a deep gash on his leg off the metal sheets so I got one of the women neighbours to ring them and have a go they eventually came later that day cleaned and bandaged the wound and gave words of advice that I'm sure would have had me effect at all I was right on the verge of dogknapping him.
I had a similar problem next door they locked half a dozen dogs in the house and disappeared for days leaving them with no food I emailed the council dog warden this time at 2am he was on the doorstep first thing in the morning and contacted the owners and removed the dogs excellent result.

gbb

Legendary Member
All theyre interested in is getting your money....a simplistic statement of course but after my wife unsuccessfully tried to get them interested in pretty obvious neglect, while fobbing my wife off quite rudely, they still asked at the end of the telephone converstaion, while my wife was still quite obviously fustrated with their lack of interest,
'oh, would you like to make a donation ?'
A short sharp 'you can fark off' was my wifes reply.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Back at me and the former Mrs Accy's house,we had scumbag/dosser neighbours who kept a German Shepherd(dog:rolleyes:) in the backyard. It was never walked,fed scraps,no water sometimes and the yard was full of dog shoot! I used to hang a bucket of water over our adjoining wall on a rope and chuck Boneo dog biscuits over. I eventually phoned the RSPCA. They said they'd investigate. They phoned me back about 3 weeks later saying the dog 'Sonny' was adequately looked after and they didn't see a problem.:ohmy: That was it! I phoned a friend up who at the time did animal rights type rescues. He climbed over the wall,put Sonny on a lead and led him to a van,then off to a save house. He phoned me a week later saying Sonny had been re-homed with a loving family.:okay:

Edit...Sadly the friend who rescued the dog died a few years ago aged 52. It's true what they say,the good do die young!:sad:

Last edited:
An ex inspector lives near me and he has helped in the past. They actually don't have a huge staff in the field - and they cut back during the pandemic last year. His area was a huge distance to cover.

Maybe Britain isn't a nation of animal lovers. How many of us donate to the RSPCA each month ?

Maybe Britain isn't a nation of animal lovers. How many of us donate to the RSPCA each month ?

Well I do (annually), but I think the inspectors are so overworked as the RSPCA have cut them back, perhaps because the head office 'professional' charity staff are too expensive (that rings some bells ;)).

my wife reported a rabbit in a hutch :stop: no food or water for days on end they did come out a couple of times clean the poor thing and feed it, also gave the owners a talking too, made no difference so i went a took him, he now lives with me well fed & watered happy as Larry inside the house like all domestic rabbits should be.

The RSPCA is, as a charity, astoundingly wealthy. It has a multi-million investment portfolio and receives millions in legacies annually. Yet it cannot attend to an animal reported - by several people, including the police - to be in agony. It hounded a whistleblower (revealing the true scale of rescues and rehomings being euthanised) employee , it is believed by her friends, to suicide. A vet who had previously given evidence in court cases for the RSPCA said a few years ago that 'something has gone wrong with the RSPCA.... they have lost sight of prevention of cruelty and are only interested in publicity, profiteering and prosecution.’ It euthanises healthy, owned, loved pets who have the misfortune to stray or be enticed away, and has itself admitted that it has euthanised animals 'by mistake'. I believe that it is worse than 'by mistake', after reading some details.
Report - and, even more importantly, support - elsewhere, if at all possible.

An ex inspector lives near me and he has helped in the past. They actually don't have a huge staff in the field - and they cut back during the pandemic last year. His area was a huge distance to cover.

Maybe its time to had over protection of animals to the Govt and councils rather than depend on a charity that has long history of struggling to cover the country. The burden is shared by all taxpayers rather than a smaller pool of donors.

Charities unable to perform effectively are typically protected from usual brickbats because people assume that volunteers are involved. 44 staff based on 2019 RSPCS annual reports draw £60K and above. In same report, there is an account note that says that a retired Inspector has been provided a property to live on as part of his pension scheme. That entry would not have appeared in the consolidated accounts unless the cost falls on the RSPCA.

Top Bottom