Nephew is looking at this bike... Second hand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Lorra lorra bike that. I wouldn't have a carbon bike myself (rock strikes on an mtb would be a worry) but that looks like a proper missile.

OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru
Lorra lorra bike that. I wouldn't have a carbon bike myself (rock strikes on an mtb would be a worry) but that looks like a proper missile.

My thoughts exactly. Even less sure about a second (third) hand, 4 year old carbon bike. The current seller has only had it 8 months

P.s. if anyone is fancying it watch it first, he's just offered it at £1800

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If it fits him and he knows the implications of using a CF frame MTB why not? The money is coming from his parents?
Presumably he's already got and MTB and wants to upgrade? It's the type of model that someone moves up to. Otherwise it's a bit like learning to drive in a Lamborghini. And maybe he won't stick with it?

iluvmybike

Über Member
I have a cf f/s mtb and have had it since 2014 - it has survived extremely well depsite a bit of hammering around the scottish mountains and at trail centres. Cf is incredibly strong so I wouldnt worry on that score. My concern would be that at 15 and just 'getting into' mtbing - is it the right bike for starters - will he grow out of it in a years time?
It is a smashing bike - but be aware expensive to maintain - forks, shock and dropper need regular servicing to keep them in good condition and can be costly just for those never mind any component replacement

figbat

Slippery scientist
It will be ok downhill but it's definitely a PUSH bike.....

Certainly not for pedaling any distance

Whyever not? It has pedals - over the right terrain you could pedal that all day. It’s not a downhill bike.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
That's a lot of bike and maybe not ideal for a beginner as it'll fast enough to get him into trouble very quickly.

But if he's serious and can afford the the service and component costs it'll one hell of a bike to ride park and trail centres.

The Mavic wheels are decent quality but good luck finding spokes.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
That's an Enduro bike. As long as that's the type of MTBing he's into then he should be fine. Should be OK for DH too.

Absoultely no good for XC though

Be prepared to shell out lots of money on servicing - especially the bushes and rear shock if it gets used a lot

Top Bottom