Nephew is looking at this bike... Second hand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Is he a tell lad - that's a large - talking 6 foot rider.

It's a big bike, and, as has been said, lot's of suspension travel. If he's going to hit big stuff, and not just do bridleways, bit of mucking about, then a shorter suspension 'trail' bike would be better. It will pedal fine, but not as well as an XC or trail bike.

PS welcome to the confusing world of MTB's. fortunately, it's not a DH bike, they are for going down hill and not pedaling.

Check ownership, and also you may need to get a proper once over being full suspension. Check for receipts for the serviced shocks as they aren't cheap.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
It's not the suspension but the geometry.
Long and lazy downhill type machine that I definitely would not want to peddle uphill...

Try a modern bike, you'll be pleasantly surprised, ok not exactly an XC racer but they do pedal remarkably well.

figbat

Slippery scientist
It's not the suspension but the geometry.
Long and lazy downhill type machine that I definitely would not want to peddle uphill...

But it’s not a downhill machine. I’m going out tonight on something very similar and will be climbing as much as I am descending; in fact it’s my favourite offroad climbing bike.

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
But it’s not a downhill machine. I’m going out tonight on something very similar and will be climbing as much as I am descending; in fact it’s my favourite offroad climbing bike.
You must spend a huge amount of time and effort going uphill.

OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru
Guys thanks for all your thoughts.

To answer the questions yea he's a big lad. I'm 5'9 and he's way taller than me.

I have explained the same to him regarding costs. He has a part time job and has saved up to buy it, I've made him aware of the running costs and he accepts them.

I've tried my damnedest to explain its a Dh bike. I think an enduro or Cross country would be more suited. But to be honest he likes his DH and the bike tracks. I think his fitness is questionable but he's happy pushing to the top and then letting it go down hill. When I go out with him on his current hardtail I usually thrash him uphill and on anything with stamina. When it comes to down hil my MTB ability is down to bravery / stupidity more than skill so he stays with me more. He's the one with the flash tricks abilities. (Unless you count getting to pub/shop/bacon butty shop/ top of the hill first a flash trick)

He's gone off that one anyway and ordered a Canyon Spectral 27.5

Top Bottom