Netherlands trip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobinS

Veteran
There are off road routes from everywhere to everywhere else in the Netherlands. If you get the "Nederland Fietsatlas" published by Falk it shows all the cycleroutes over the whole country - absolutely brilliant resource and a must-have for Netherlands touring.

All uphill

Still rolling along
There are off road routes from everywhere to everywhere else in the Netherlands. If you get the "Nederland Fietsatlas" published by Falk it shows all the cycleroutes over the whole country - absolutely brilliant resource and a must-have for Netherlands touring.

Or download the app for knooppunten, the navigational points that cover NL.

Warning: once you have used the NL system you may come to the conclusion that the UK is still living in the dark ages.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
While the junction number network is easy to follow and everywhere, I suggest that this one might be even simpler by following the waterways. Arnhem is on the Nederrijn, so head from Amsterdam to somewhere like Sporthal Zeeburg and follow the Amsterdam-Rijnkanal south then southeast as far as Wijk bij Duurstede, then follow the Nederrijn to Arnhem. Small roads and cycleways along the south bank of the Nederrijn seem to follow the river easily and are signed by junction numbers. Detour through nearby towns for a while if the canal riding gets too monotonous.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
That's actually a thing though, isn't it. Took me the longest time to get over it. 😩

I cycle in Belgium a lot and the system there is great, at each junction the cyclist has the right of way as designated by the red cycle lane.....
Once back in the UK you're soon reminded of 'our' rules !!!

All uphill

Still rolling along
That's actually a thing though, isn't it. Took me the longest time to get over it. 😩

And sadly it's not just true with regard to cycling.

Slick

Guru
I cycle in Belgium a lot and the system there is great, at each junction the cyclist has the right of way as designated by the red cycle lane.....
Once back in the UK you're soon reminded of 'our' rules !!!

Yip, I actually got into a bit of a fankle more than once before I realised the huge differences involved.

Hi all, I'm trying to find a route from Amsterdam to Arnhem. I'm hoping to keep off main roads as there will be 4 of us. One of us has Alzheimer's so want to keep it as simple as possible.
Thanks in advance

That's a very interesting tour!

Since no-one has mentioned Cycle.Travel I'll mention it as an excellent bike planner, especially in NL, although it does have a tendency to avoid towns - easily fixed by adding viapoints. It can be used as an app (iPhone only), or to download routes to a phone or gps device as well as printed route sheets.

The knooppunten system is excellent, although rarely a very direct route and sometimes (especially when changing provinces) can be difficult to spot. Always a good tip to check that the numbers work in reverse because it's not unknown for people to twist signs around!

I'd imagine that the most concern will be for your Alzheimer's patient so, depending on when you are there and specific routes, you may find that certain days or times parts of the bike routes can become especially busy. Schooltimes, for example can be uncomfortable. Sometimes a short pause of 10 minutes can change the perspective significantly. A good idea too, to keep in mind that some e-bikes can fly silently up behind at pretty high speed. A rearview mirror was a real stress reliever for me. Also, sometimes motor scooters (brommers) can be a nuisance.

It's not unusual to come across packs of cyclists, normally older folk, who I have christened the Blue Rinse Hell's Angels ^_^ . They can be a tad selfish on the bike paths so given your group's circumstances perhaps best to pull in and let them past.

I have never cycled in Amsterdam and I could see that as an issue for your group. Cyclepaths are everywhere but are very busy pretty much all the time. Depending on where and when you are arriving it may be an idea to consider circling the city or just taking a train. It is amazing, though, just how quickly you hit the countryside outside the city!

I hope you don't find the comments too negative. NL really is a wonderful place to cycle and tour.

Best of luck!

Top Bottom