Never go to Finland . . .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
. . . and challenge them, in jest or otherwise! :tongue:

I was in Tampere over the weekend to take part in a sportive night ride (131 km).

After finishing in 5 hours 24 mins, and after a suitable amount of sleep, I went with my mate (by van - a blue one) to his country cottage for a bit of relaxation and refreshment with some of his friends and family.

Beer, vodka and other concoctions of fire-water were consumed. 'Bring it on' I said, jokingly offering a challenge. Fukk me! did they bring it on! :becool:

The sauna! Never EVER say that 'it's not very hot' when the temp. is at 80 degrees! 30 minutes (interspersed with quick dashes to the cold shower) and 40 degrees later I left, never to return. That was HOT!

They have sauna championships!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Sauna_Championships

Here are a few more 'events' considered 'fun' by the Finns!

http://goscandinavia.about.com/od/annualeventsinfinland/tp/weirdeventsfinland.htm

The anthill-sitting one has to be the most ridiculous one!

Live and LEARN! :sad:

Don't they take 'wife carrying' really seriously there too?*
I have it on good authority that they are a raucous lot.

*OK I admit to not clicking on the second link

Noodley

Dayvo said:
No significance, really, just that it wasn't a white one!

Mmmm, a blue van <strokes chin>, a blue van you say. He didn't by any chance have a large dead fish in it did he... :wacko:

yenrod

Yeah, you get your jerks who arrive in a Sauna and say "bit cool isnt it !"

Then some equal jerk already in the sauna puts some water on the coals.. :wacko:

monnet

Guru
Kirstie said:
is it true that they roll in the snow and beat each other with birch twigs afterwards?

Yes, and if they're by a lake they drill a hole in the ice and have a nice cooling dip too. I lived in Eastern Finland for 5 months over winter a few years back. I loved it. It was mental, the people were mental but it was bloody brilliant fun.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I have a soft spot for Finns... especially the enjoyably mental women.

Top Bottom