Never seen one of these before.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
I am not a folder rider and don't need or desire one, but this is new to me.

ImgW.ashx.jpg

https://www.alza.co.uk/sport/strida-5-black-d2647161.htm?catid=18855696

A front-end collision on that will leave your descendants without ancestors.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It's been around in one form or another for years. I used to encounter one regularly on the train I get. I seem to remember that the "classic" Strida had solid tyres and looked even more like a toy than that one did.

The marketing blurb is worth a look:
-----------------
Strida 5 black

Strida bikes will attract at first glance, its original design, which differs significantly from conventional wheels. Folding frame in the shape of A ensures easy portability, convenience and driving comfort. Thanks to these properties is ranked among the top in the category of folding bikes. This unique wheels are part of the British engineer and designer Mark Sanders, who in 1984 designed the first prototype bikes Strida. Less than two years later, the wheels were already on sale. Since then, the brand takes a lot of expertise Strida prices and above all satisfied customers.

Unique bike
Model 5.0 is the basic model with a 16 "casing, which are fitted to the wheel rims. Kevlar belt is maintenance-free and need not be treated with oil - never so please do not smutch. The belt has a guaranteed lifespan of up to 60000 km. In addition, Strida 5.0 model is equipped with disc brakes, who care about your safety. Bike weight is 10 kg.

------

Please do not smutch.

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
Yep, they've been around for years. I first saw one in 2008/2009. Saw one again this very morning, heading up Tottenham Court Road

Don't see many small wheeled bikes up here in Yorkshire, even in York they all tend to be the big wheel variety, I guess the London commute is a big influence on the popularity of folders.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well who woulda thunk it... Guess what I saw on my morning commute?

Yup, one of those...but a white one.

Kell

Veteran
There was a guy at work used to have one about 7/8 years ago.

Never spoke to him about it as I didn't see the appeal. The only upside I could see was how easily it wheeled while folded.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Saw a white one wibble past Flag in Battersea last week. Seemed to work ok. Not my thing, particularly, but the rider was making reasonable progress.

PaulM

Guru
I owned a Mark 3, I crashed a Mark 3 - whilst attempting to indicate right when descending the Portsdown Hill. Ouch!! I hobbled into work and was hobbling for the rest of the week.

Plumpton

Regular
I owned a mk3 one. Very disappointing ride being honest. Every time I went up a hill or put any form of pressure on the peddles I suffered belt slip. Gave up on it in the end and ordered a Dahon.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I owned a mk3 one. Very disappointing ride being honest. Every time I went up a hill or put any form of pressure on the peddles I suffered belt slip. Gave up on it in the end and ordered a Dahon.
Gosh, to be worse than a Dahon........... :smile:

P.S. I have a Dahon amongst my stable of folders.

Top Bottom