New 27" rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I recently bought a new pair of tyres for my old steel road bike, aiming to increase the max pressure from 80psi (old schwalbe tyres) to 95psi (panaracer TG).

When I went to change the tyres, I saw that the rims on this bike do not have any "lip" - they are just flat edges, with nothing to hold the tyre bead in place. A quick google advises against going above 80psi with this type of rim, or there is a risk that the tyre may blow off!

A closer inspection also showed that the rims are quite concave, with no sign of the original wear indicators... so I'm thinking it's time to change them!

So - does anyone on here know of a good set of 27" (x 1 1/4") rims? Ideally I'd like a relatively robust longer lasting set rather than a super lightweight one.

ps - I also know upgrading to 700c is possible, but I'm not at all sure I want to go down this route - I definitely want to keep the original brake calipers (old Mafac racers), and am also slightly nervous about cold setting the rear stays.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
iirc SJS Cycles stock 'em.

Last time I needed some I bought complete wheels off Amazon.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Thanks for the tip - the SJS 27" rim seems to have good reviews on the website, and the price is right! Need to check to see how many spokes my hubs are set up for, since it seems they only offer a 36 hole option.

I'm not so keen on a complete wheel, since I'd need a new freewheel too (my old one has strange french threads which aren't ISO compatible), so this would work out a bit more pricey. Looks like there is hope for a new set of rims though :smile:

Top Bottom