New academic research on the effect of helmet laws

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Two researchers from the University of California, Irvine and the Drexel University just published an intersting study on the "Intended and Unintended Effects of Youth Bicycle Helmet Laws" http://papers.nber.org/papers/w15658

Unfortunately one has to pay for the download of the paper but there is an older ersion on the web which is free: http://web.gsm.uci.edu/~kittc/Carpenter%20Stehr%20Bicycle%20Helmet%20Laws%20Manuscript%2012%2002%202007.pdf

Quoted from the abstract:

"Over 20 states have adopted laws requiring youths to wear a helmet when riding a bicycle. We confirm previous research indicating that these laws reduced fatalities and increased helmet use, but we also show that the laws significantly reduced youth bicycling."

Interesting, thanks for that.

Come on now..... you know that helmets and actaul scientific evidence don't mix......

Page 2 before straws and soup get a mention?

chap

Veteran
The case on whether to wear helmets or not seems a no-brainer to me (which could be the unfortunate consequence of not wearing one.)

However, the law is right in its approach to this one: leave the final decision with the cyclist - after all their lack of helmet will not normally affect anyone else, directly. Sometimes I am happy to cycle without a helmet, I've even done this in London a few times, although by default I prefer to wear one.

chap said:
The case on whether to wear helmets or not seems a no-brainer to me (which could be the unfortunate consequence of not wearing one.)

However, the law is right in its approach to this one: leave the final decision with the cyclist - after all their lack of helmet will not normally affect anyone else, directly. Sometimes I am happy to cycle without a helmet, I've even done this in London a few times, although by default I prefer to wear one.

<devil's advocate> Does this also apply to seatbelt use in cars and motorcycle helmet use?</off>

chap

Veteran
Rhythm Thief said:
<devil's advocate> Does this also apply to seatbelt use in cars and motorcycle helmet use?</off>

In the case of seatbelts, no, because you can kill somebody if they crash and you collide with them. Plus when it comes to children, it is not their fault that the person in front is negligent. Finally, by being thrown around it could cause issues for other people - if not just being unnecessarily messy.

With the motorcyclists, It is their decision, if they chose to do 90mph (most do not stick at 70mph) with nothing protecting their head then so be it. So long, should the worst happen, as they are charged posthumously for the clean-up involved.

Naturally, a helmet law should apply to under 18's (unless they are in the armed forces*.)

*rational: if you are brave and mature enough to fight for Queen and country, you really ought to have full privileges as an adult

StuartG

slower but further
Yes, for youths, a disproportionate number of cycling accidents are head related (over the bars) so this drop is in line with previous studies.

The effect on mature/experienced cyclists will be lower.

Whether the excess deaths in the non-helmet states is compensated by the advantages of great cycle use (longer life, less CO2 emmissions ... ) is the real question.

Personally I go with the policy of recommending that kids should wear helmets but not mandated to do so. Better a child cycles without a helmet than not at all.

chap said:
With the motorcyclists, It is their decision, if they chose to do 90mph (most do not stick at 70mph) with nothing protecting their head then so be it. So long, should the worst happen, as they are charged posthumously for the clean-up involved.

Oh good, can we charge people with bad lifestyle choices too. I'd like not to pay for people with health problems caused by lack of excercise and poor diet.

skrx

Crackle said:
Oh good, can we charge people with bad lifestyle choices too. I'd like not to pay for people with health problems caused by lack of excercise and poor diet.

It's much cheaper to clean up if the motorcyclist dies...

Although, there may be other costs to society (e.g. if he leaves behind a family that now needs money from the state).

Top Bottom