new and advice on a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sarahpink

hi,

I have recently started cycling mostly on roads, live near some lovely countrt lanes in the west country which I found I really enjoy and want to get more into it as a hobby/sport. I currently have a mountain bike which is about 10 years old which I had as a child, and really would love some advice on what to get as a first bike. I will be mainly using it to keep fit, leisure and possible doing some bike challenge in the near future. but am clueless on where to look for a reasonable bike but not too expensive my budget is up to £300. any advice would really be much appreciated.

Norm

Hey, Sarah, welcome to CC

What sort of roads / routes are you thinking of doing? Roads? Tracks? Hills? Flat? etc

OP
OP
sarahpink

sarahpink

Hi, thanks for replying. Im looking at mainly doing quiet country lanes/ roads with a mixture of flat and hills and using it to visit friends and college. So clueless on where to start but think a hybrid bike would suit me. i want something light as quite slim and petite.

Norm

*argh*

Someone said *spit* hybrid *spit*. :angry:

I have a concern with the word hybrid as manufacturers use it to describe everything from a rigid mountain bike to a flat-barred fixed road bike.

If you aren't going to be leaving the tarmac, you should be, IMO, looking at road bikes. I'd suggest no suspension as most bikes with suspension forks at that price will be very heavy and probably unnecessary for road use anyway.

Halfords' Carrera Subway are pretty well respected by those who own them (do a search on here for more feedback). The Subway 1 is just within your price.

There's a whole load more, such as the the Dawes Discovery but it's tough to recommend a specific bike for someone else. If you go to your local bike shop (LBS) and tell them what you are looking for, see what they recommend and take a couple for test rides. What works for one person may well be completely wrong for another who appears to be after the same thing.

Almost all the main manufacturers will have a decent bike in your price bracket. 'City bike' is a popular phrase, although 'hybrid' was perfectly respectable until a few years ago! The Subway gets good reviews, but it is sold by Halfrauds, so set up and maintenance may be problematic. A decent local bike shop (LBS) will hopefully see you as a potential addict and make sure your first mechanical steps ( :ohmy: ) are trouble free.

Someone on here will know the best ones round here.

Welcome! and Enjoy.

Jugular

Edinburgh bike coop do lots of cheap bikes and many women specific frames, something there will suit your budget and your size while still being a reasonable basis for a bike. Often they will offer bikes with good frames and cheap parts, that way, over time, you can upgrade it when parts wear out into something much better.

Definitely worth looking into.

Top Bottom