New arrival: Gitane or something else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This week I finally picked up the 'Cycles Aveneau' bike which may or may not be a Gitane:

s-l1600.jpg

The seller's local and appears to be a Yorkshire version of @biggs682 - lots of old frames and bikes. They may be on here and if so :welcome:

The rear work looks similar to a 1974 Gitane Tour de France model and, if so, I'm ^_^

Rides well although the tubs are well past their best. Much was covered in grease so has protected the rear derailleur and frame bottom. That's not rust, it's 40+ years of grease residue.

There's a set of serial numbers which I hope will help identify the bike and if needed I'll get in contact with the shop. It's 531-tubed with a Stronglight drillium crankset.

DSCF6385.JPG
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (8).jpg
s-l1600 (7).jpg
s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg

First I'd like to identify what it is, then the headset bearings need doing. Wheels spin but need re-greasing with new bearings plus new cables throughout. There's also a non-standard chainring bolt missing.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Nice :smile:. Those rear dropouts are very Gitane, indeed I think only Gitane were brave enough to use them lol

D

Deleted member 1258

I feel a little sorry for the cabling underneath - aside from some fresh grease they could do with some guides to keep them in check
The bottom of my steelie has some welded guides which are well greased.
very nice btw.

I looked at that and wondered if there were originally guides on top of the BB.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Very unusual and a a great find. Shame the back wheel has been changed. Will you stick (sorry about the pun) with tubs or swap them out for clinchers?

I'm not sure they have @Cycleops - they're both tubs and are Mavic, although the rear has a Montheley Route label on.

If I keep the bike clincher wheels will be fitted as I'm not confident about running tubs on a regular basis on the roads around Yorkshire.

Would have been designed for a clamp on double cable guide on the down tube near the bb with the clamp on rear mech stop on the top of the chain stay :smile:

Thanks, I wondered if that was the case. One'll be added.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

http://classiclightweights.net/france/helyett/1963-helyett-speciale/
If it helps, Jacques Anquetil used to ride for Gitanes.

Thanks - as did Brian Robinson, who I'm likely to see this evening. I think a trip out's called for on the bike. Whether I'll get the 6 miles there and back is to be seen, although I've switched the back wheel for a different Mavic as the rear tub's delaminated over the past 24 hours.

* note to self: remember the brakes are European way round, not British.

Last edited:
Top Bottom