New arrival: Orbit America

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Bought via eBay (@nonowt spotted it along with myself) and collected yesterday from Streetbikes this wasn't quite as expected. From the photo and description "Project low starting price for the steel fans " I was expecting something needing work.

And it did ... sort of. Someone had attempted to turn it into a fixie by shortening the chain. With the wrong type of dropouts. And putting the wheel in wrong - it wouldn't go in because of two springs on the LH skewer and none on the RH! :eek: The result was a bike with a wonky wheel, short chain and covered in oil / dirt / dust.

Out came the deep cleaning kit, which continued throughout the bike. And thinking "I'll give it a wipe and see" the result was this:

DSCF6623.JPG

It's got a 531 Competition frame with 531 forks, 20" size. Shimano 105 is throughout; crank, shifters, brakes, hubs on Rigida rims, derailleurs - all of which just needed a wipe. And apart from a new chain all it's needed is cleaning - the rear cogs are 13-21 so I've left enough chain slack to fit a bigger freewheel. Look pedals are now removed and cleaned. The 53/42 Specialized chainrings on the 105 crankset have had hardly any use. There's a small screw needed to hold the rear reflector in place. Apart from that it's almost pristine. New tyres are probably needed, although the 'Specialized Commuter ii' currently on don't appear to have seen many miles.

Plans? It's a bit too small so it'll be sold. Anyone want a hand-built Orbit 531c with full Shimano 105 6-speed groupset? On eBay next week ... :whistle:

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
nice !

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

im tempted but out of my price range i bet

Try me :okay: - if it's 20p then no, but something with 3 figures would be OK. It's on eBay next week for £150 start: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163992062335 with the pedals separately: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163992090536 *

* before anyone suggests I'm mercenary all funds go towards supporting my 15 year-old's track / road / TT / hillclimb racing, which is expensive.

I'm heading to Scunthorpe then Lincoln on Monday 23rd so could meet up for a drop-off en route back to save posting, although I've a bike box.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

That's cleaned up lovely. Looks great with the black rims. Hope I didn't inadvertently push the price up!

Thanks - and I'm fine with what I paid: it all goes to help their projects.

Sometimes I wish they'd properly photograph and describe items as they tend to go for quite a bit less than they're worth. This isn't the first item I've bought from them; the last was a vintage pair of wheels which went for the start price.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Thanks anyway dc lane but as usual spare money i had earmarked and potential x mas funds have now been earmarked for mundane stuff the house needs , the joys of parenthood :sad:

Top Bottom