New beginning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good afternoon,

......Meanwhile I've just received my new SIM from a company called 1p - 1p/min, text, mb - which works with unlocked phones or EE, Orange or T-Mobile ones. So I'm getting EE coverage for a fraction of the EE price.

Calls sound like great value but if you start to use your phone to browse, 1p per MB, or £1 per 100MB or £10 per GB that is pretty expensive.

A typical page here is about 100kb-250kb if you have paid for the advert free version.

If you are seeing adverts then the page size is likely to be another 200kb-300kb more as most adverts will be around the 100kb each.

Sometimes the advertisers don't worry about image size though, the Charlotte Tilbury ad image that I have just seen here saved as a 706Kb file (unless Chrome does a weird job of saving the image, Gimp saved it at 20kb) , meaning that this page is around 1MB or 1p worth of data.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

toffee

Guru
Getting ready to move and all it entails. Best broadband provider though, opinions please. Won't use sky as it is a Murdoch thing but appreciate they may be much of a muchness. Currently used to virgin but anyone you need to talk to is in Manila! Quite partial to History and Science channels and looking for reliability and bang for buck.
Sky is now owned by Comcast to the Murdoch Empire

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Yup. I don't understand it either. I renewed my contract in December. I had been paying £23.99, but they volunteered a price reduction without me asking for it. Maybe because I've been with them a long time??? Worth asking - it can be done.
I was paying, as best I remember, £38.99, until a post on here got me on the blower, whereupon they reduced it to £23.99 with nary a quibble.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I hate you all. We have a choice of...1, we're the only place in the country with our own "municipal" phone company. If you wanted to go with anyone else, you would have to have a BT line installed which would outweigh any savings. I'm on an unlimited usage and superfast and paying £42 (incl the landline). There is talk of opening up the market but we'll wait and see.

Tribansman

Veteran
Avoid Vodafone. They're a bloody nightmare. Crap equipment and hours of time wasted on the phone with no lasting solution :cursing:

Waiting till I can afford to pay up contract and join a reliable provider. I know they're expensive but will prob go with BT as neighbours both sides are with them and say they've had zero issues

Enjoy your new surroundings @rockyroller
um, I think you meant that for Oldhippy ...?

I am rural so have B4RN, 1000 mbps FTTP for £30 a month. No sky contract just Amazon Prime and stuff like that. It’s ridiculously fast speed but had trouble with connectivity around house until installed some BT whole home booster disc things and now all the house, garden, garage get a mega fast broadband and connectivity is excellent

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Like others been with talk talk a goodly while and never had issues with there supposed dodgy customer service. upgraded to faster service during lockdown when my house got inundated with students. they even sent me unprompted the other month a new freeview box as they realised mine was a getting a bit old.

Know others on plusnet and whilst set up can be a pain once running its fine and cheap and they are good to deal with.

don't be seduced by "fastest speed" deals. The limitation on download speeds is your distance from fibre cabinet etc, which all the providers use the same, and efficiency of your in-house wifi, which is best boosted with 3rd party products anyway.

Nibor

Bewildered
I'm officially with Waitrose, but they just piggyback onto Plusnet? I can't remember exactly because there are no problems. Been with them 20+ years and never had any problems. Help desk is in Sheffield and is easy to get through to - or was last time I needed them some 3 years ago.
Costs me £19 for unlimited broadband and evening/weekend calls (which we never use as phones have masses of free use for us).

I know they have an iffy reputation but I've never had any problems. I wouldn't still be with them if they messed me around.
Plusnet is BT

Leedsbusdriver

Every breath leaves me one less to my last
£21.99 a month for TalkTalk unlimited. We get about 55mbps, which is plenty fast enough for us. No complaints about customer services yet, simply because we have never had to contact them.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Know others on plusnet and whilst set up can be a pain once running its fine and cheap and they are good to deal with.

That was my experience in a nutshell. Months of wrangling with no connection at all - all the more amazing given that Plusnet is a wholly-owned BT subsidiary. but since it's been finally sorted out we've had 4 or 5 years of pretty good service - the speeds can be a bit flaky at peak periods but it's never gone down altogether.
all the providers use the same, and efficiency of your in-house wifi, which is best boosted with 3rd party products anyway
Not all. Virgin have their own separate infrastructure; everyone else uses Openreach - ie, BT. (Or that was my understanding... maybe Vodafone have a network too. )

Top Bottom